Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I query a local file in a remote data access page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
US
Thanks in advance for any advice folks! Here is my problem:
I am writing a web application as data access pages in Microsoft Access 2000 which will allow our customers access to reports and other data pertainant only to them. My proposed method of doing this is to send a text file to my customer containing only his customer name and customer number which will be used for filtering data on the web-based back end.
When mister customer connects to our web app, a query looks for the text file, which has been set up as a linked table in the database. The very nature of this filtering also provides security by preventing this customer from viewing other customer's data.
The problem is, when accessing the page remotely, the obvious occurs, the back end is unable to find the table, as it doesn't exist on the webserver's local C: Drive.
How can I make the query, which is sitting in the access database on the web server, use the file sitting on the customers C: drive?

I'm no web security expert, but the very idea of remote computers gaining access to my 'C' drive frightens me.

Why don't you instead store the records on 'your' database, include a customer ID number in strategic location(s), and filter on that?

No, not MY C: Drive. The file, named security.txt would be located on a REMOTE USERS C: Drive - Local to that user. The backend is where the query would reside. The Data Access Page would be based on a query that uses the file on the remote user's C: Drive to filter data matching the text file linked as a table. I just need to know how to make the back end look for the security.txt file on a user's drive over a dat access page.

Oh, sorry, I should have read more carefully. I'm afraid I have little more to offer on this thread. Next time I'll read more and talk less.

I am not up on the data page process of access but a web browser in theory will not allow access to the local machine except that it will save cookies that the server can retrieve. You can use a file input tag with which the user can add an attachment to send with a form. There are components you can purchase that can provide the data if the users allow it to be installed on their machine. You could probably write one as an add-in to access but again the customer would have to agree to install it on their machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back