Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I put Micros E7 Server into Standalone Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2pos

Programmer
May 3, 2012
CA
My first post!

I found this site after Googling about Micros POS. I came across this post:

I'm new to the whole POS space, but I'm interested in building some tools that work with POS'. I figured I'd start with one of the leading POS systems, which brought me to Micros.

So first off, I want to get a POS running so I can just play around with it and get to know how it works. In the thread I mentioned above, someone posted links to download the Micros E7 software (version 3). I got this running and was able to get the Sample database loaded.

So now I have the E7 server running and I want to run some operations - like open a table and add some items to an order. But I get blocked with an error message that says I can't perform the operation on the server pc.

So my question is how can I make it so that this application runs in Standalone Mode. Just a single instance running - no network, no other workstations? Is this possible?

Thanks!

The same installation on a Windows CE client will be able to do transactions IF you have a license key. A 32 bit station is always a server, hence no transactions

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

So obviously I'm a developer not looking to pay for a license. Does Micros have a Demo mode or a Developer mode or something like that?

I more or less wanna see how I can interface with the POS' database. I'd like to know if it's possible to be notified when a new table is opened, what the order items are, and item details like quantity, price, tax, etc.

I have the server set up on an WinXP virtual machine using VirualBox. Do you know if it's possible to have a Workstation running on a VM?

I know I sound like a bit of a hack - I am :)

Nope. Its what you see is what you get. Unfortunately you dont get to do any transactions, and there is no dev license for this one. Its all USB key. They arent much, say $600.00 There was a company around that did some dev stuff for this system, they wrote a KDS system for it.

What you have should be enough for any dev work, testing is where you will find the crunch. Maybe the $600 key is worth buying, but Micros will want to then sell you 3 days installation... they make 70% of their income on services, 30% on software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back