Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I prevent some computers to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salibas

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
DE
How can I prevent some computers to use the DHCP server and get a lease IP. I have computers on my lan that should not take any IP from my DHCP and get into my subnet. I dont have any control on those computers whatsoever.

Hi Salibas,

you could give them a fixed IP. Digga

Sharing Knowledge Saves Valuable Time!

Thank you

but, I dont have any control on those computers. My ISP shares the same network with all his clients. I used a router to isolate my small company network, but no use. Other people are still getting IPs from my DHCP.

Are you running a wireless router or are people physically breaking into your location to plug into your LAN or how exactly are they pulling an IP from your DHCP server?

The situation is like this:

our local ISP uses a WAN to distribute iternet connection using the subnet 192.168.*.*, and our office is using one IP of this subnet to connect to out ISP. I am using a router to "hide" my network from my ISP network and I use the subnet 10.154.*.* . So, as you can see, there are many users on my ISP network who I dont have any relation with them.

geef ze een vast ip adres en zet de lease vast in je dhcp server

If other people on the WAN can get an IP address from your DHCP server it means that a) Your ISP has no blocking/rules or firewalling and b) Neither do you.

Either...

Get a firewall or block all incoming DHCP ports on the router. My suggestion is to get a firewall ASAP, it looks like anyone can easily 'route' through your router and access your server.

Ash.

Get and install a firewall yesterday!

Having systems obtain an IP address from my DHCP server that aren't in my network would be the least of my worries! It's just the symptom of a bigger problem. Your server(s) is(are) visible to your entire ISP's WAN, from what you've said.

That's not good.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back