Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I prevent any type of synchronization at logon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blixa

MIS
Jun 25, 2001
SE
I'm setting up a new solution for our laptop computers, and have configured the use of offline files.

Due to some problems we have with various configurations we have done (redirected AppData folder / administrative assigned offline files etc) - I now want to prevent any type of automatic synchronization at logon - I want to do this manually in my loginscript (with the use of mobsync.exe). This is to make sure I sync all files before anything else happens (for example starting Outlook!)

I have seen the policy "Synchronize all offline files when logging on" - but this does not completely remove the sync when configured as disabled, only changes the synchjob to quick..

Is there any way to configure the use of offline files, but preventing autosync at logon?

You can specify syncro to occur at logon, or at logoff, or uncheck all items to rely on a manual process:

To configure offline files to synchronize when a network connection becomes active:
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Synchronize.
In the Items to Synchronize dialog box, click Setup.
In the When I am using this network connection box, choose the connection for which you want to specify offline Web pages and files to be synchronized.
All offline Web pages and offline files are displayed in the Synchronize the following checked items window. Check the items you want to be synchronized when the network connection becomes active.
Repeat steps three and four until you have configured the synchronization settings for each of your network connections.
Specify whether you want items to be synchronized when you log on or log off Windows.
Click OK.
Click Synchronize to complete the synchronization immediately, or click Close to close the Items to Synchronize dialog box.
Windows will now automatically synchronize your offline Web pages and offline files according to the new settings.

Yes, but how can I as an admin pre-configure it?

The GPOs for offline files are found in two locations. The Computer Configuration GPO takes precedence of User Connfiguration:

Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Network
Offline Files

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Network
Offline Files

I have used this GPO: "Configure slow link speed" to create an artificially high link speed. This would essentially force a manual synch.

If it is just the logon synch you want to avoid, disable the GPO "Synchronize all offline files when logging on."

Thanks, I'll do some tests with slow link speed...

But the policy "Synchronize all offline files when logging on" does not work that way, it only forces a quicksync instead of a full sync...

I do not understand a quck sync, but the other choice is while offline, click the Offline file notification tray icon and select 'Work online without synchronizing changes.'

Blixa -
Where you able to get this to not sync at all? We're experiencing the same issues, a quick sync is done when the offline synchronization is disabled. I have it disabled at both levels. HELP!

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back