Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I ping PIX from my ISA server 2000 to test if working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesj1968

Programmer
Sep 3, 2005
GB
Hi

I have just set up two network adapters on my ISA Server machine. One internal adapter goes to our internal network and one goes to the PIX. I have configured the TCP IP properties in the LAN connections so the PIX ip address is entered. My question is do I ping this address to test if all is working or do I ping the 'Default Gateway' ip address?

Thank you for any help and information.

Les

Hi, Is your ISA server connected to the inside or outside interface of your pix, this inside should respond to pings unless you have a rule in the pix saying otherwise but the outside interface won't respond to ping attempts.

The pix address and the default gateway address (for the ISA server) should be the same.

Why put the ISA server between the Pix and the LAN? Why not just put it on the LAN and connect the LAN to the pix?

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Hi one ethernet NIC adapter of the ISA server is connected to the inside interface (I think - how can I confirm?) of the PIX? I used a crossover CAT5 cable to connect the ISA to the PIX. The other ethernet adapter connects to the LAN.

In regards to the location of the ISA being between the PIX and the LAN - this was optional... I could have created it as a "member array" of the domain, or a stand alone server... as I have done in this case. Making it a standalone server seemed the simpler solution. If it is a stand alone server all the clients access the ISA server as proxy clients.

However I still need to test if it is all working ok before we set up the clients. The ISA external ethernet needs to be able to communicate with the PIX but the internal NIC must NOT be able to communicate with the PIX. Is there a PING command to test this?

Specifically I need a PING command to ping from one of the NICs on the ISA machine to a target IP and then ping from the other NIC on the ISA to a target IP

From the ISA server just ping the internal IP address of the Pix. If that works okay try internet access from the ISA server. If that works set up the client on the LAN to use the ISA as a proxy server.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Thanks for your reply. I can access the internet fine on the ISA server and I can ping the internal IP address of the PIX with success. However I was assuming I would have to ping from the external NIC on the ISA server to the internal PIX IP to test if it was working, and then test pinging the PIX from the internal NIC adapter. The latter should be unsuccessful as the internal NIC on the ISA should NOT be able to communicate with the PIX.

I have tried setting up my own client machine as a proxy client using the internal NIC IP of the ISA server as the address to enter in the Address field in LAN connections on my pc and I have entered 8080 in the port field. I have left all other fields boxes unticked. Is this correct? So far I have been unsuccessful connecting to the internet if I do this. I assume there is something else I have to do. Do I have to restart the ISA server? I have installed all of the ISA server 2000 but the configuration wizard is still half complete and I have not clicked "finish" - is this the reason why I cannot yet access the internet on my own pc as a proxy client?

I couldn't tell you anything about setting ip ISA. You'd be better off posting this on a Windows forum. If you can access the internet okay from the ISA server then the Pix is working okay.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back