Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I move all of my Windows Updates to a new computer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraswan

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
GB
I've download many windows updates, how can I transport them onto another computer?

Thanks.

burn them on a CD? Over a network ...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Sorry, what I wanted to know was where specifically are the windows update files kept, so I can transport them.

Unfortunately, they are not "kept" in any useful form for you unless you take specials steps.

You can use the Windows Catalogue feature of Windows Update to save updates without installing them to a folder of your choice. Service Pack 1a is available for download:
The recent "rollup" package is a useful collection of Hotfixes, and is easy to download as well:
If you already have Service Pack 1 installed on the target machine, download the rollup and apply it. This will reduce your time at the Windows Update site.

For future reference, do you updates manually.

By following these instructions you can save any update to disk for later installation.
Perform the following steps to view the Windows Update Catalog:

Visit the Windows Update Web site:

Allow it to Scan for Updates and note the details of any updates offered.
Return to the home page of the Windows Update Web Site.

Click Personalize Windows Update.
Select the Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also check box.
Click Save Settings.
A Windows Update Catalog link appears under See Also. Click the Windows Update Catalog link.
Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Click the appropriate product (windows XP SP1 etc.), and then click Search.
Click Recommended or Critical Updates.
Locate the patch you want, and then click Add.
Click Go to download basket.
In the Type or browse to the download location of your choice box, type the full path for the folder in which you want to save the patch. Or, click Browse to browse to the folder.
Click Download Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back