Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I monitor different extension from my phone? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoujinZ

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2007
US
I have a user that needs to be able to monitor another users phone extension (when it is ringing or when the other user is on the phone).

I know this can be done, but I have no idea on how to program the phone to do this. Can someone provide some assistance on how to get this done?

BTW - We are using Nortel phones, PRI, and I have admin rights to programming.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's possible, but, I need to know your s/w level and telephone set type.

Adversity is Opportunity

Put the ext. to be monitored on the monitoring ext. as an answer DN. The direct line could be programmed also but watch out for the forward no answer rings. Should be one higher on the monotring phone.

If it is just the status of the extension that needs to be monitored

Program one touch key on a free display key
Feature * 2, extension #

Wow..Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I shouldve mentioned that I have limited knowledge of our phone system. So I am not sure how to tell what s/w level we are currently using.
I do know how to access the advanced features but as far as which feature to program and how to program it, I will need step-by-step assistance. I know how to setup a mailbox, reset passwords, restrict certain calls, etc. - just the basics.

If by phone set type you mean model, than I have the T7316 and the user has T7208.

We normally have the phone vendor do this sort of programming but I would like to become familiar with the process myself as we don't have the budget for a service request each time a user wants changes like this made.

Thanks again for everyone's help!! [2thumbsup]

Depending on software level, the T7316 could have a BLF (Busy Lamp Field) button, but no hope for the M7208. Just press Ftr*2, touch button you want to display and then ext.# of DN to monitor. It will at worst become a Internal Autodial, but could become a BLF.

Adversity is Opportunity

Call monitoring can mean a few different things, hence Dewey's first question. If you only need to see when they're on the phone, or their phone is ringing, F*2(internal autodial) should do what you want.

Just make sure the button you program is on one of the lower set of buttons- associated with a LCD position. When they're on the phone, you'll see a "off hook" indicator, and when their phone is ringing, it will flash.

Can the conversation be monitored? If so, How do you program it on the monitoring set?

Long story short, No. You need Contact Center, and then both the Agent and Supervisor logged into the same Skillset.

Adversity is Opportunity

There is a couple of different recording options available. I think DEES makes a single channel option that can be clipped on in the phone room. CAUTION must be taken as far as legalities go. check with the corporate lawyer before you go much further.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

For a "poor man's" solution, if your site isn't too large, you could turn off privacy on the analog CO's. Then anyone can pick up any line in use and listen in.

We've got one site that uses 1 line on a CICS this way as a "conference line", but I suppose you could monitor calls this way, too. (local legalities not withstanding.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back