Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I manage my NT 4.0 server remotely via my ISP ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riod

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I would like to manage my NT 4.0 servers from home. There must be something that will let me do it via the internet.<br><br>Any help will be appreciated.<br><br>Thanks.

Roid<br><br>There is a free program called VNC that I use.&nbsp;&nbsp;It can be used over the network or over the internet.<br>As for how secure it is I don't know, but Ive never had a problem (touch wood) - just enable the ports it uses in proxy filter or on your router and you should be fine.<br>Just remember to make sure that the service is started automatically.<br>If only one of your servers has a live IP then you can just start a vnc session on that server and vnc into the other servers over the LAN<br>All documentation can be found on the site: <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> free what can I say.&nbsp;&nbsp;Try it<br>

VNC if used properly is as secure as any other piece of software, but is more robust than the server it runs on :)<br><br>If you use a different port to the default 5800 and a password that is not a word and ensure that the server in question always has been logged out locally for more security then it is fine.<br><br>I administer my NT Servers from home that way - VNC is my fave piece of software, it is the most robust and its free...

Well i suggest to you use &quot;NetOp&quot; it's great programm for remote administration! It's secure enouthg, Very Fast !

The most secure and reliable way is to set up a terminal server on your domain with internet access and a worldly ipaddress.&nbsp;&nbsp;Install the client on your home machine and login as if you were there.&nbsp;&nbsp;The benefit here is all administrative traffic remains inside your domain and not over the internet. <p>Robin Ptasiuk<br><a href=mailto:rptasiuk@home.com>rptasiuk@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>MCSE, MCT

I also use terminakl server quite often and its very good. You can completey control everything.

RobinP, please explain the terminal server with internet access and keeping it off the internet with internet access?<br><br>I am confused?<br><br>Thanks, Lynn.

Yeap...The terminal Server is the best way to manage the Server from ur desktop.<br><br>This Operating system comes along with the Service Pack 4 of Windows NT4.0 and its an integarted one along the Windows 2000 cd.<br><br>The information can be browsed from <br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br>or<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back