Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can i make my computer go faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qz

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
US
my computer is very slow when i try to search something in internet,,,,please help!!!

what's up QZ<br><br>first you need mucho money then you go to ebay auction and search for the modem and buy 56k v90<br><br>i wish my answer was very helpful to you<br>

Chances are I assume you are using a 33.6 Baud modem , so like akoh19 said, get a 56K modem that support v90(standard nowdays) ignore the flex, or X2 ones, as most ISPs only support V90 now. Now to make the computer faster in general(as far as loading time for a browser, or running all your applications) Be sure to run Defrag least once a week (or everynight for that matter as it gets faster each time you defrag) So other than Defraging and getting a 56K V90 modem that should do it. (Oh I paid 109$ for a external V90 Voice/Fax/Data modem, its really nice when it has software that lets you plug headphone/mic into it, use it as a voicemail/answering machine system, accept fax data, etc)<br>I'll be using my external for phone only when I move upto wake forest, as they already have Cable internet provided for 40$ a month(currently what I pay for Phoneline + 56K speed internet)<br>I'd look around for any CableServices, or DSL services in your area if you want really really fast connections(Avoid ISDN at all cost) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Just curious kb - why avoid ISDN at all cost?&nbsp;&nbsp;I used to have one and now that I had to switch back to standard 56k connection, I kind of miss it.....

for most new people to ISDN, its a rather low speed for the very high cost(my boss uses ISDN for this building, pays 400$ a month for it, and its only twice as fast as a 56K) where as cable or DSL is several times cheaper, yer several times faster, also If you dont have the ISDN lines and switcher installed got those extra cost as well. Also I wouldnt go with Satilite, cuz they make you pay about the same as 56K or Cable, but most places limit you to 24 hours a month. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

First of all, if you have a slow modem upgrade it to a 56k like they said earlier. If you already have a 56k then you may want to buy a new processor or if you feel skilled enough you could overclock your CPU. I suggest reading up on it and looking around at the different ways of overclocking and seeing which one's more comfortable to you if at all.

Oh also I just got cable which goes extremely fast compared to the 56K getting about 16 megs in under a min the first time around, of course 2 things you might have to consider (maybe 3) is 1) Availibility and 2) Pricing<br><br>for me, 1) it was first placed here in wake forest, and 2) it cost about 60$ a month, 50$ setup if you install it yourself 99$ if you have them configure your computer for you. the possible 3 option is if the service you get is reasonable, I know some will capp(limit) your speed to not too greatly faster than when you had it at 56K (like say only twice as fast might sound nice but cable can do a lot better)<br><br>Good luck, Keep us informed of your progress :} <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Is it actually your computer that is slow or is it just the internet access that is slow?&nbsp;&nbsp;My guess is that it is the internet access that is slow.&nbsp;&nbsp;This could be caused by several things.<br><br>As suggested already, a slow modem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even a 56K modem will seem slow compared to the native ability of a recent computer.&nbsp;&nbsp;A friend's computer with a p-166 cpu is more than adequate for internet browsing.&nbsp;&nbsp;He has a 56K modem and the upload/download speed is by far the limiting factor in his system.&nbsp;&nbsp;xDSL or cable modem may be needed to get a significant speed improvement in your case.<br><br>Also, an overextended internet access provider could be the problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or the web sites that you access can be swamped with traffic.&nbsp;&nbsp;Those naughty web sites are awfully popular (ha-ha).<br><br>Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Now we know the <i>&quot;rest of the story&quot;</i>. QZ, could you provide more details?<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back