Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I make Graphics Tablet Work w/ 2 Monitors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tototoo

MIS
Mar 20, 2007
US
I'm running WinXP Pro and have an Nvidia 6200 running two monitors in Dual View mode. It works great and I love the extra desktop space. I also have an AIPTEK graphics tablet, which I also love. The problem is the drawing area of the tablet now extends across both screens. Photoshop doesn't. So, I can only use 1/2 the tablet, the half that corresponds to the monitor on which Photoshop appears. The tablet's configuration program doesn't address this issue or I'm being a dumbass and don't know how to use it correctly. It does not have any documentation. Any solutions or ideas? Maybe what I want is unreasonable. If it sounds to you like I "want to have my cake and eat it, too" feel free to tell me so.

Hmm, I don't think you're going to have much luck. I don't use a tablet but as far as I'm aware they control the mouse pointer, don't they (in addition to providing other inputs such as pressure)? Essentially what you want is for the mouse to be restricted to one screen, but the only way of doing that which I'm aware of is to temporarily switch to single display mode.

Have you checked Aiptek's web site? As dual-monitor configurations are fairly common nowadays they might have an updated driver or config software.

Regards

Nelviticus

Thanks for the response. But, I did find a way. I had to go into the file that controls the tablet's parameters and simply double the width of the tablet. It works just just fine, now.

Could you post your solution here? I've tried to google it and wasn't able to find an answer. I have contacted their tech support, but I'm still waiting for a reply from them.

I think I have the exact identical problem to yours--I'd like to run Photoshop on one screen of my extended desktop across dual monitors, but my Aiptek 12000U will track for both monitors instead of just the one using Photoshop. When I tried to double the tablet width in the Hyperpen USB manager, the dimensions wouldn't go past 11.88 inches (which is the 100% width of the tablet). I'm assuming there's a configuration file somewhere on the system where I can manually change the values to 24 inches.

In case my post isn't clear, here's a screenshot:
Thanks for your help, I hope you see my post, because I haven't been able to even find another person with a similar problem like mine.

I'd be happy to help you out. You need to edit the file C:\Windows\aiptbl.ini. Way down at the bottom, there's a section called [Wintab32.Cpl]. The first item is PANEL_WIDTH. It will be set equal to some number. Double that number, save the file and reboot. For example, I had PANEL_WIDTH=3920. I changed it to PANEL_WIDTH=7840. The downside is the setting doesn't stick. For sure, the little app they give you resets it. But, something else does too, eventually. I'm not sure what. I hope this helps. Let me know if you learn anything more. BTW, their support is useless. I did get a message from them. It said, "You have to change the file." LOL. Thanks, guys.

Everything worked as you said, I changed my PANEL_WIDTH from 5940 to 11880, rebooted, and the tablet was restricted to one monitor.
I would have never even known where to start with this problem, and I'm amazed you could find the solution in such an obscure place. Thank you so much again for your help, tototoo.

Eternally grateful,
mngzhou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back