Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I make a set of setup floppy disks from a Windows 95 CD-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyroneOwen

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
GB
I have a Compaq Armada 1560 laptop with no acces to a CD-ROM driver. I have installed Windows 98 and can't get my ethernet card to work so now want to revert back to Windows 95. As I can't access the network and have no CD-ROM driver I need a set of Windows 95 setup floppy disks and I only have 95 on CD-ROM. Can I produce the necessary floppy disks from the Windows 95 CD-ROM? If not any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Every cd version I've seen has .cab files that exceed floppy storage size.
You might look into putting the install stuff onto a zip drive and transferring that way. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

From windows 98 you can create a start up disk
go to start-settings-control panel-add/remove programs-start up disk.
you can use the startup disk to reinstall either win95 or win 98

Jesus loves you

Thanks for your responses. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have no access to CD-ROM Drive or Zip Drive, all I have is the Aramda laptop equipped with a floppy drive. To re-install Windows 95 on the machine I need to create a set of set-up floppy disks. Is this possible?

This is one of those "is it possible" versus "should you do it" questions. The answer to if it's possible is a bit more complicated. Regardless, you shouldn't do it.

The files needed for the install involve cab files that exceed a couple hundred megs. Each floppy disk only holds 1.44 MB. The reason you shouldn't try should be obvious. You'd be better off obtaining a cdrom drive for that laptop. You can always use an external one if there isn't an internal model available...

I have an Armanda also. There is an option under system tools that will allow you to create diskettes. Now W98 may have obliterated that, but I used the function to create win 95 diskettes successfully. My mistake was I did not know that the option goes away once you do it!!!! I was flip flopping 2 diskettes and then good old MS asked for an earlier diskette during the install - too late for me - I couldn't go backwards and once I finished, the option disappeared form the System Tools menu. Good luck.

Not from the cd. What I was suggesting was an external zip drive through the parallel port. This of course would be after a DOS installation to get access to the port.
You might also try to find someone with a disk set and copy them. Only problem is everything after disk 1 is in DMF format and you would need two programs to do the job, fdformat, and copycq. And disk 2 would probably have serial and user info written into it, so you would need to delete that. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hello!
If I where you i would transfear the Windows 95 installation files to the computer by the help of an application built in to Windows 98 called (I don´t know the English name for this application, but I guess that it is as follows) "Direct Cable Connection" and a Lap-Link cable. To solve the problem this way, you need one extra computer and a Lap-Link cable. A Lap-Link cable is not very expensive but another computer may be.

Good Luck
Daniel Svensson

Have you tried checking the ethernet card's manufacturer's website for an updated driver? Perhaps this whole process isn't necessary and you might still be able to get it to work in 98.

Would be easier and cheaper ($20), to buy another card with the drivers on Floppy? 98 usually picks up a card pretty easy, maybe its the card and not w98.

This may not be a suggestion you can use, but it is what I use in similar situations.
I install dos, anything over 6.0 and networking (lantastic) and get access to another machine, then download the critical install stuff to the local hard drive and install from there.
one problem is size of install set, but the tradeoff is never needing the cd again.
Of course it helps that I have the tools to do this. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Ed, do you ever get the 'please insert Windows CD' when you install from the HDD and if so, what do you do about it? My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

If his original installation was from floppies, it wouldnt ask for the CD, it would say Please insert Disk 23...

You misunderstand. I was referring specifically to ed Fair's method. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Never see it from any windows need. Occasionally see it from other software, but just point to the right place. Biggest pain is the lantastic since there are several drivers involved in the networking and lots of redirection. The lantastic is also loaded from the hard drive, along with just about everything else I use. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back