Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I make a reliable backup image of a pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastinAway

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
US
I have ghost 2003, but it takes like 14 hours to backup a pc. Is there another program that you can use to do these backups that will eliminate the 14 hours. I would like to backup each machine on my network. BUt all the machines are different. Thanks

I haven't used Ghost 2003, but have used every version since about 5.1 and that seems real odd. How big of a drive and how much data is on it?

Are you doing it over the network?

Etc.

AckNack

No I was a using a parallel cable peer to peer. How would you do it over a network and would it be faster? The harddrive was fairly large ( I forget at this time ), thanks

A parallel connection has transfer rates of less than 1MB/s. It's definitely not a recommended solution for backing up large hard drives. Invest in a USB CD writer or backup over the network to another hard drive.

In other words, it's not the software that's your problem.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

SO if I have a USB CD-Writer then it will make my backups go faster. I would still have to go Peer to peer wouldn't I or would you just boot ghost from a floppy on the PC I am backing up and then for my destination use the CD-Writer( which is conncected to the pc I am backing up ) (So there would only be 1 PC involved) Is this what you are saying?

For the most part, yes. USB 1.1 external CD-writers are cheap but only max out at 1.5MB/s (4x CD writing) which takes approximately 20-25 minutes per 650MB of data. So how much data are we talking about here?

If it's only for one PC, you could opt for an internal drive which would be a lot faster. USB 2.0 external drives are the most expensive solution, but would be just as fast as an internal.

Ghost has the ability to boot from floppy and recognize internal drives. I'm pretty sure it works with USB drives as well.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

WastingAway:

If you installed Ghost, you should have the Ghost Boot Wizard in your Start menu.

This works pretty good for creating network boot disks.

AckNack

Hi

I use Ghost 2003 often, you have got several options: (Sorry if I remention the excellent advice above)

- Backup to exisiting Hard Drive as an image file then copy to a network share

- Install a temporary 2nd HDD and backup to that

- Backup to a CDR Drive, Ghost prompts you to put in as many CD's needed to perform full backup e.g you are not limited to 650 or 700 MB

- Backup over to a computer on the network (Using the Ghost Wizard or options)

- Backup to an external device like a USB 2.0 Hard Drive or CDR etc

You have many options, I normally backup to the existing or 2nd Hard Drive or to CD-R's as a ghost image file

Hope it helps

Jamie

I installed the hard drive from the old PC into new PC (WinXP H) one as primary slave. BIOS recognizes the drive. I can designate a drive letter in "manage" section. However, windows explorer does not list any of the files in the slave. What is the best way to copy old hard drive's contents onto the new HDD?

Save as "file" and save to the "new" hard drive. I have about 5 gig to image, takes 20 minutes.

I have used a program from acronis.com that works really well. Not sure how much it cost, but the image file you make can be sized to span cd's or if you are putting the image on another drive you can then mount the image as a drive letter and copy things directly out of it.

--------------------------------------
Trying is the first step to failure
Homer Simpson
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back