Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i Install NT on a FAT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamcha

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
MX
Hi !!

I need to know if NT can be Installed on a FAT32.
I was trying to do but i can not do.
There is some instruction like "Convert" for change a
FAT32 to FAT16 or NTFS Without lose the current Disk data.
We are talking About a WIN98 FAT32.

Thank you Everyone !!

As far as I am aware you can only install on FAT 16 or NTFS

Sorry, buddy. FAT32 and Windows NT just don't mix. Sounds like you want to dual-boot your Win98 machine. You'll have to add another hard-drive for NT, use Partition Magic to resize your FAT32 to a smaller size (only after a good defragmenting) and create a 2nd partition for NT, or use Windows 2000 which can use FAT32.

Good luck and have fun!

MaestroG B-)

Thank you MaestroG.

I will try to do that.
But, what are you talking About with "Partition Magic"?
Is that an External Utility ?

And... Is possible that NT will be Installed on a Disk with
Primary Partition Fat32, and a Sercondary Partition FAT16 ?

I hop it Works !!!

Oh...Partition Magic is a 3rd party utility that is useful for Re-sizing partitions. If you owned a copy, you could feasibly shrink your FAT32 partition and create a FAT16 or NTFS one for your NT installation to use. You'd probably be better off avoiding the use of it. I just wanted to show you all of your options.

Also, yes, NT can be installed on a second partition. Since your first is FAT32, you may need to make the second partition the active one before NT will install.

I'm pretty sure that once you have your second partion setup, install NT to it and when it is all done, you'll get a menu at each boot up and you can pick which OS to boot into. There are a lot of articles on dual-booting. You may want to scour Microsoft's knowledge base and possibly some magazine's too. There are some surprises and issues you should know about and this is the best way to learn up...find info and instructions on the web! :)

or do a search for "dual booting"

Here's a link with very specific instructions for dual-booting 98 and NT, but only if you are starting from scratch or don't mind starting over with Win98:

My suggestion is read up and find some specific instructions for what you want to do.

Chow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back