Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can I increase the size of meta volume online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amins

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
BE
I Need the increase the size of concatened meta volume online in a windows 2003 server.I've ECC 5.1.1SP2 ..
Thanks

If you want to make the Meta itself bigger (i.e., add another hyper to the Meta) you have to break the meta, add the extra hyper(s) and rebuild the meta. If you just want to add another Meta to the device group/volume group you will need a volume manager (i.e., Veritas volume manager). By your question it sounds like you want to make the Meta bigger, which cannot be done online as it has to be unmapped from the FA to add the new hyper(s).

An infinite number of monkey typing at an infinite number of keyboards will eventually populate the internet.

Hi Amins,
In fact, you can increase a meta-volume under Win2K or Win2K3, the only problem is this process is only supported in 68 (the top level) and not supported in the last microcode (69 and 70 for DMX). In summary (because, it's a little bit long process :) you must have a BCV meta which got the same size than the original STD meta, then the process copy the entire data from the STD meta to the BCV meta, then add a volume to the STD meta and then restore the BCV meta to the increased STD meta. (For that, the lun must be in NTFS of course, you must have the Microsoft tools called "diskpart" release 5.1.3553 minimum, you must use and know very well Symconfigure because as D3funct says, the STD meta must be unmapped during the process, etc.....)

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back