Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I hook up a laptop in 2 different network environments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavee

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
US
I use a win xp pro laptop. It has a high speed internet service at home with a static IP address and when I use it in the office there is a peer to peer network with a switch what uses automatic IP settings. How can I use it without retyping the IP addresses everytime new.

Change your network settings from static to dhcp and the NIC will pull an IP when connecting to a network.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

But once I am at home again it needs the static setting. I try to find an easy way to switch between he 2 settings.

Why are you using static at home? If you could use dhcp at home that would help.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

yes, I have static @ home and auto IP @ the office

Is there any reason why you can't run dhcp at home?

As far as something to easily switch between the two settings I would imagine a batch file of some sort could be written to accomadate that, not my gig though, others here might be able to help you with that.

Albert Einstein

That's just how the ISP sets it up. I asked them, they can not do it another way.

Thats odd. Most I have dealt with set it to dhcp and you have to pay extra for a static IP.

Albert Einstein

Here are some I use at work to go from my local DHCP router and a Cisco OC48 Fiber system that is static IP of 192.1.0.1

This to setup for DHCP
netsh int ip set address "Local Area Connection" DHCP

This to setup static
netsh int ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.1.0.25 255.255.255.0 192.1.0.1 1

This sets my PC ip to 192.1.0.25 mask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to the Cisco OC48 192.1.0.1

I put the info in a files called setdhcp.cmd and setstatic.cmd drop them on the desktop and just run them when I need them.

Setup your DHCP under the General Tab, then:

Go to Control Panel

Network Connections

Local Area Connection

Properties

Alternate Configuration

The Setup under the Alternate Configuration is the Static Setup.

Works great and you don't have to do anything no matter where you go. You can do the same for wireless use.

Old Tech Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back