Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I have the PC boot without my intervention? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosh

Technical User
Jun 8, 2007
US
When the PC boots it stops and asks the user to do the following:

Press the F1 key to continue, Press F2 to enter the setup utility.

How can I bypass this and just have the PC boot without my intervention?

There must be an error somewhere if its asking you to do that. Does it say anything else? Any error message or something?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Whats the exact message you are getting? Does it say something like "primary drive 1 not found" or something else? You can check the BIOS settings for the hard drive. Make sure the primary hard drive is set to auto. You could also try resetting the BIOS to default settings.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

If you haven't changed anything, and all of your settings look ok (but the problem keeps happening and the time/date is always wrong), that's symptomatic of a bad MB battery.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I've recently added an IDE Controller card and have the primary HD connected to it. Before I installed that card the PC wouldn't boot from the HD, I tried other HD's but none of them worked. I came to the conclusion my MB's IDE connector was bad, therefore installed the PCI IDE card.

In that case, go into the BIOS and disable the on-board IDE interface, or at least do an "auto-detect" which should set it at "no drive detected". Save settings and exit, machine will reboot, and hopefully no more halting.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I entered the BIOS, but there didn't seem to be a specific item for the onboard IDE Controller? It's a DELL Dimension 2400.

Change the boot order to boot from pci if possible. Due to it being a brand computer you wont have many options in the bios. My advice is try and change the boot order, also if you have the option you can set in the bios the computer to halt on no errors.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back