Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I get rid of Duplicate fields in one table

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunu

Technical User
Nov 10, 2002
US
Hello all, it's me again, Mary with another question.
I would like to know how can I split up a table that's being used to track 45 line itmes 3 to 4 times per day every week.

Example:
Time of Day Field Name Other Fields
(AM)=Morning AM Counselor 44 other fields
(PM)=Night PM Counselor "
(AD)=All Day AD Counselor "
(WE)=weekend We Counselor "

Right now I have 1 table with 180 fields as you can see from my example above. How can I stop repeating the same information for AM, PM, etc??

Mary

Are you trying to track counselors working on specific days? If so, you would want to make one table for counselors (with all of the pertinent fields are not contingent on the days they work) and one for days. You would create a one to many relationship between the days table and the counselors table. In the days table, you could have four fields which correspond to the times of day that you are tracking. Tell me if this is similar to what you are trying to do.

Sam

Are you suggesting that these '44 other fields' are a DIFFERENT set of 44 fields for AM , PM, AD, WE ? Or are they the same 44 fields ?

Does the TimeOfDay field just ontain the text "AM", "PM", "AD" or "WE" or does it contain other things as well ?

Does the FieldName contain "AM Counselor" or does it actially contain someones 'proper name' ?

G LS

Are you suggesting that these '44 other fields' are they are the 44 fields for AM , PM, AD, WE ?

yes the TimeOfDay field just contains the text "AM", "PM", "AD" or "WE"

The FieldName "AM Counselor" does contain someones 'proper name'

Mary

So - let me get this right - you have a table that looks like

tableName
TimeOfDay
AMCounselor
AMfld1
AMfld2
AMfld3
AMfld44
PMCounselor
PMfld1
PMfld2
PMfld44
ADCounselor
ADfld1
ADfld2
PMfld44
WECounselor
WEfld44

Is that REALLY it ? That does make 181 fields -

Is the data in AMfld1 the same data TYPE as in PMfld1, WEfld1, ADfld1 ?
etc. for each field.

What I'm getting at here is that I suspect this is a simple Normalisation problem.

The real challenge will be getting your existing data into the normalised structure.

G LS
accessaceNOJUNK@valleyalley.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Mary,

Check out the article in the Developers' section of my website called Fundamentals of Relational Database Design. It's written by Paul Litwin, a great writer about all things Access.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back