Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I force the IP address of a network printer. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

melburstein

Technical User
Aug 29, 2000
US
I'm running a home network of 3 PC's, 2 running Windows 7 and 1 running Windows XP. I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless printer that sometimes appears as 192.168.2.2 and sometimes 192.168.2.4. I would like to force it to always be 192.168.2.5. How do I do this?

Please help me by providing detailed step-by-step instructions to navigate me through the screens.

THANK YOU

the easiest way i know of is: on your router, assign the printer's MAC address a static IP.

depending on the printer, i have not used that specific model, you may also need to go into the printer's settings and select Static IP and enter the same IP there as you assigned it on the router.

Well is there any control software for the wireless print server on the printer? Usually there is software that gets installed with the installer, and you can get in and set a static ip address.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I went to 192.168.2.1 to review the router settings (Belkin N1 Vision) and did not find anyplace to specify a static address. I also checked all of the printer preferences and settings and did not find anything. I could not find a program for the print sharing that would allow me to make the changes either.

Strange, it's impossible to set static IP addresses in this router. You can set lease time 'Forever', then IP addresses will not change.
Better way is to set static IP address on printer, it should be possible. Read 'Embedded Web server' section in user's manual.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Instead of (or as well as) Printer Preferences, do you have a right-click option for Printer Properties where you can access the "Ports" Tab?

linney: Actually when jobs that I send to the printer fail to print, and when I suspect that the Router has changed the IP address of my printer from 193.268.2.2 to 192.168.2.4, and when I am able to confirm this suspicion by keying in the IP address into my browser, I am able to fix the problem by going to Printer Preferences and modifying the IP address.

What I can not figure out is how to make it so that a static address like 192.168.2.5 is the only one assigned to my network printer. I cannot find it in the setup for the Router.

Mel

have you tried shutting off DHCP on the router? and then you would have to manually assign static IP addresses on each connecting device.

For all the HP printers I've dealt w/, you can use your browser to login to the embedded webserver in the printer. Go to the networking page. Set the 'IP configuration method' to manual. Then set the IP address, netmask, and gateway address.

When you apply the settings, you'll probably lose the browser connection and have to reconnect to the new IP address.

User Manual:

HP Officejet Pro 8000 Printer series User Guide - ENWW

Web browser, any operating system: In the address bar of a Web browser window, type the IP address or hostname that has been assigned to the product.
For example, if the IP address of the product is 123.123.123.123, type in the address bar.
source: Hewlett Packard...

Network settings can be found under the NETWORK tab...

On the Belkin Router, you could set the IP POOL to reflect one IP only, the one you want for the printer... then set the PC's all to static IP's above the IP POOL... e.g. POOL setting 192.168.2.5 beginning and end, then all PC'S starting IP range from 192.168.2.10 (PC1), 192.168.2.11(PC2), etc...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Gecko27's idea did get me to a place where I was able to enter a static IP address, but then I could not get Printer Preferences to match.

Do a google search for: officejet pro 8000 manual. Select the first entry (It should be a pdf). In the page number box, type 71. It should take you to the directions on how to set a static IP address.

Note, you will need to know the subnet mask of all your pc's Make sure you have it before you begin.

SUCCESS!!! Thanks to everyone. PRPhx had the right idea: "Read the manual." That is what I tell everyone else, but I was not doing it myself. I found the instructions "To set a static IP address" on page 67, not page 71. It was the same thing gecko27 suggested when he said to go to the embedded Web server. But, unlike my first failed attempt, this time I rebooted after making the change. Then I went to Control Panel, removed the printer and added it again, selecting the one found at 192.168.2.5. Worked perfectly. Again, thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back