Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I fix Error 2203 when installing software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz92

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
US
This is the error I keep getting when trying to install software upgrade.

Error 2203. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\47fe9.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error - 2147287037

Thanks,
Blitz92

1) What software are you trying to upgrade
2) Are you running as an admin user?

Software is called Princeton Financial Software application (financial app)
Yes I'm running as an admin user

I would try right-clicking over the executable and selecting "Run as Administrator", see if that helps.

As guitarzan said, ensure you run the installer using Run as administrator. If the problem persists then clear the contents of C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp in case it's a build-up of temporary files and the OS has hit the TEMP/TMP environment limit (unlikely with Win 7 but not unknown in earlier versions).

If the problem persists, have a look at this article in case it's still a permissions issue. A Microsoft article explaining the problem (and solution) can be found here. (It's not just MS Office that can be affected.)

Note that some AV programs (e.g. McAfee TVD 5.x) prevent executables from running from temporary storage areas so you may need to turn AV off or relax the restriction temporarily.

Hope this helps...

Cross posting......................... Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Hmmm, thread's gone now but it was in the XP forum. So, blitz92: which OS are you using?

Just upgraded from XP pro to win 7

OK, great. So what have you tried and what were the results?

Or does he mean that problem was SOLVED by moving from XP to 7????????

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I used the "Run as Administrator" to install on the workstation but the problem persists so I cleared the contents of C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp in case it's a build-up of temporary files as suggested above by Rick998. But it didn't work.

I am still getting the following error:
"Error 2203. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\47fe9.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error - "

I am trying to install an upgrade a workstation/client upgrade to an application which had been already installed on the server.

Workstation OS: Win 7
Access permission: Admin

Thanks again,
blitz92

Blitz92,

I forgot to ask, have you tried temporarily disabling any AV on the workstation?

Have you carried out any troubleshooting on the Windows Installer service itself? For example, have you tried re-starting the service and ensured there are no existing msiexec.exe processes running?

If you're trying to install from the server, have you tried copying the installer and running it locally (just in case the folder\filepath exceeds the character limit)?

See msiexec.exe failed with error code 2203 when install program and have a look at the answer from the Microsoft Answers Support Engineer for more troubleshooting steps. For an automated fix, have a look at How to troubleshoot issues with Windows installer service and try the Microsoft Fixit.

If all this fails then you may need to turn MSI logging on and re-run the installation. However, this is a little bit involved so try the suggestions above first.

Hope this helps...

The error can occur for many reasons. Below are suggestions from various application developers that have run into this issue. Maybe one of the suggestions will help.

Found these on google:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back