Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I find where a View is created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicatx

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I have never used views nor have I ever used stored procedures. So my question may sound naive, but...

In the process of upgrading our financial software, we have users testing their Crystal Rpts. because some of the db tables may have changed. Well, surprise, surprise! One of the accountants is running a report and one of the tables that she is using, is obviously a view. Does anyone have any idea about where we can look to see where this is created? I already checked out the SQL code and it is not created there.

She runs a group of 3 reports, but not in any particular order, so that shoots down my theory that this was created in another report.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Technical information would help:

Crystal version
Database/connectivity used
Example data
Expected output

Views and stored procedures exist on the database.

A view is simply SQL code, a Stored Procedure is the same, except they typically have more functionality available and will execute more quickly as they have a precompiled execution plan.

Don't worry over sounding naive, but try to supply the basics when posting.

You can execute the report, and then use Set Location and you shoulod be able to figure out it's origin.

Also depending upon version and database, you might use Database->Show SQL Query to view the actual SQL.

-k

I posted in a hurry and afterward, realized that I left out the (usual) basics: CR 8.5, Oracle db, ODBC connectivity.

(Really, I am looking for magic, because this discovery has put us in a quandry.)

I have already looked at the SQL query, which merely tells me the "how-to" for this report (select FROM, WHERE, etc.).

I know (previosly looked at Set Location) that this view has been placed on the same server as the other (vendor provided) tables for this data base.

My problem is that I don't know where/when this View is created. But the user will not be able to produce production-type reports once the upgrade goes into place.

Can a view be created at the same time that a report is executed? I am under that impression that a stored procedure runs when a report executes (or am I wrong about that?). If a stored procedure is associated with a report. how will I know that? Where would I look to find this out?

Thanks for your help. I have worked on Crystal for a few years, but never at 100% dedication. Management usually just wants something yesterday, so I don't get a lot of time to "play" with CR.

Left out some info: I don't know what the expected output should be. All I do know is that this input table (which carries actual and budget figures for each acctg. period) is definitely a View. This data normally is carried on two or more of the vendor-provided tables. Plus, this table has been named VW_ACTUAL_BUDGET, which is not a vendor-provided table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back