Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can i find out wether a modem is corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palhello

Programmer
Dec 29, 2002
NP
I can't have proper connection to the internet. I rarely get connected over 9600 bps..and funny thing is that 9600 bps connection is faster than the rare 12000 bps and 14400 bps connections. I have SM56 PCI Motorola modem. How can I know what is wrong? The drivers, ISP and modem properties are all fine. If it is the phone line how can i be sure of it? Don't wanna make a fool of me when i go to the phone company and later find out that the problem is some other thing.And for those with curiosity my computer and modem are just 1 year old.

For starters:

Don't rely on the COM ports baud rate to find out your connection speed. There were many times when the actual connection speed was a lot faster with a lower COM port baud rate than with a faster one.

If your MODEM is internal (I think yours is !!) then you should try and change (if possible) its configuration under the RESOURCES tab on the device manager (IRQ, DMA, ... etc). There is a possibility of a hardware conflict.

I don't know exactly what settings you have made but if you're sure that your MODEM is fine and wanna check the quality of the phone line you should try installing an external MODEM (just to avoid all the fuzz of opening the case) and connect with it. When you do that try downloading a large file (1MB should be fine). If the connection is 56KBit/sec then the download rate should be aprox 4.7KB/sec to 5.3KB/sec.

NOTE: I'm not saying anything about DRIVERS because i assume that they were included inside the MODEM package Downloading them is obviously out of the question for now. If you think that the drivers have something to do with that then you should uninstall it and try to install it using a generic windows driver if available.

Hope that helped ... Michael Manos
Automation R&D

useing "modem strings" in your modem can and most of the time will show you the true connection speed. depending on your modem and your knowledge in troubleshooting, you CAN increase the connection speed. the reason i say that is because you didn't say anything about getting dissconnected alot. if your phone lines were that bad you would be. i bet you if you were with us as a provider i could get you going good. but you can't because we are not nation wide only local to NE texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back