Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i find a computer name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddunn100

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
US
Is there any way if you are given a Mac Address of a machine to find the computer name without going to the server and using dns?

If you use DHCP you can but you also need to know the IP Address. So if you have an IP Address and MAC address you can verify this in your DHCP manager.

Thank you

so there is no way that you can resolve the mack address to a computer name

go to a command prompt and enter arp -a. That will give you a table with the MAC address and IP address (provided your machine has had reason to communicate with the other machine recently). You can also do the arp command from one of you routers if you don't find the data on your local machine. If you do a search on shareware.com or simtel.com you should find a utility to resolve the hostname from the IP address.

The only problem with using arp -a is that if the machine is past the router, you will only see the MAC of the router and not the PC.

Getting the arp from the router works well.

Once you have the IP address, a simple ping -a x.x.x.x should resolve the name.

There is a freeware utility I use at the office that will scan the network and map out MAC, IP, and Machine names. I will try to remember to post the name of the program tomorrow at work.

A very good network program is WS_Ping Pro. It has many utilities that are useful to a network admin.

Jason Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back