Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I filter email messages out by keywords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzGeek

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2002
US
Hi,
We get the occasional spam messages and I using Exchange 5.5 SP4, I want to filter out some obvious bad spam messages using keywords, etc. (without buying third party utilities.) Anyone know how to go about this? Thanks in advance. :)

Hi,

if you open up the exchange admin, open up your domain container and then open the configuration container. Provided you have IMS installed, if you open the connections part, then double click on the IMS you will get a tabbed box appear.

Choose the connections tab, and go to the message filtering part. You can put the domain in there and individual addresses, ie you can filter all the messages from a domain by putting in "@domainname.com".

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I also have been trying to filter out SPAM as it comes into our server. I recently put a domain in the message filter section ie "domainname.com" and restarted the IMS service but still had mail come in from that domain. Do I need to put in the "@" symbol like this? "@domainname.com" like in your example to block the whole domain? Thanks!

Thanks, Jim. Unfortunately, I've already known about blocking domains and email addresses. But what I was asking was about filtering email message by keywords, (so as to stop bad spam, etc.) Any ideas on this? Thanks.

I also been looking for some free utilities, and this is what I have found: It is free, but i don't know if it is aplicable with excange
at least i couldn't make it work.

Please let me know of your success;

Jazz,

sorry, bronto right, third party only.

Jenica,

yes, you need to include the @ symbol.

Jim

Filtering Spam;
Best way is to set up a linux box and route mail to it, use sendmail to forward to your exchange5.5 box. sendmail can do lookups against a MAPS (Mail Abuse Prevention System) or ORDB (Open Relay Data Base) system. This requires some in-depth knowledge but linux is free and the connections to maps and ordb could be free depending on how many look-ups you want to do.
Easier way might be to set up an Exchange 2000 box to forward mail to your Ex55. Exchange 2k adds reverse name validation and filters email with the same to and from address (can someone else confirm this?) This requires licensing (read $$$$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back