Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I do without the root password ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tao

MIS
Feb 3, 2000
FR
I receive a HP 712/60 running HP-UX 9.05 from one of my old customer which was ready to throw it to trash. The problem is that he forgets the root password.<br>
Is there any solution to change the root password without knowing it ?<br>
Do I have to install the OS again ?<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help,<br>
Bye,<br>

Best thing to do, I think, would be to upgrade the OS to HP/UX 10.30 or 11.xx. IIRC, HP/UX9.x has various Y2K issues.

Thanks a lot for your help but I need to keep the old HPUX revision in order to maintain an old software.<br>
<br>
Have a nice day

If you have console access - and if what you say is true then you do - reboot to single user in maintenance mode and do it from there.<br>
<br>
Sorry I'm not being absolutely clear on this - I'm uncomfortable telling people how to circumvent security procedures. You should, however, have enough info there to get you going.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Hi,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;There is only one way to access the system as Root. Pls follow these steps and you will have access to system as super user:<br><br>1. Recycle the power.<br>2. After initial power on self test it will display a message

You can boot from CD-ROM and then mount the&nbsp;&nbsp;/ file system and from there edit the /etc/passwd file by removing the encription field.<br><br>Or you can stop the boot process and at the ISL prompt type:<br><br>ISL&gt;hpux -is bootdisk(scsi.6:0)/hp-ux<br><br>I am not sure if there is space between boot and disk ( ISL&gt;hpux -is boot disk(scsi.6:0)/hp-ux ) as I am reading from my history notes.<br><br>this should boot in single user mode asuming that 6 is your boot disk scsi ID.<br><br>If it doesn't work. Remove all bootable media, power cicle the system wait for it to find out that it has no bootable media and power down. Reconnect your disks and boot in single user mode as above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back