Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I do a browser based site to site speed test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazda3racer

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2011
US
I am looking for a way to do a speed test that my users can run to check the health of our vpn speeds because they tend to fluctuate a lot. I was looking for something like the speedtest.net mini test that you can install on any site but that would only measure speeds between the server and the user.

I work with a large IT company and all i have seen them run is speedtest.net

you could try forcing your internet traffic down the VPN for this test. With normal windows PPTP connections your internet traffic defaults down the VPN anyway. I don't know your set up but I am sure you know what I mean. Just ammend the routing tables for the test.

Download IPERF (linux src, etc or Windows binaries)

Select a "server" this is something on one side of VPN
iperf -s

Select a "client" this can be your system or something on remote side.
iperf -c x.x.x.x

Quick and dirty that'll test with TCP. Read the manual an you can select other options.

If that doesn't work try timing a 1meg file, old school with a stopwatch.

You are also going to be limited by user isp connections. Many cable internet connections throttle users that consume high bandwith as gateways are shared among multiple ips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back