Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I distribute the Admin Console? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyanGR

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
GR
Dear all,
I have create three different NT groups with different access and use of the SMS database. For example, the Engineers will have total control on the SMS while the Administrators will be able to do all but change the settings of the Site. The HelpDesk will only be able to view and run the Queries and use the remote console.
I want to distribute the Administrator Console from the SMS Software distribution in order to avoid the manual installation.
How can I distribute it silently to a group of PCs I have create?

Thank you
Yannis

Yes, I also experienced the problem of doing this and as SMS handles the security all I wanted was the AdminConsole.....There are two ways:

1.) Install the SMS-AdminConsole on a clean machine and record the installation with SMS-Installer and then repackage it.

2.) Execute the SMSSETUP\BIN\I386\setup.exe with the following parameters " /nouserinput /script setup.ini"
and be sure that your setup.ini looks like this:

[Identification]
Action=InstallAdminUI

[Options]
Action=InstallAdminUI
FullName=<NAME>
OrgName=Microsoft
ProductID=<CODE>
SMSInstallDir=C:\SMSADMIN
SDKServer=<\\SMSServer>

[SQLInstallOptions]

[SQLConfigOptions]

[LicenseServer]

(You are able to find documentation on this on the BORK 4.5 CD and on I chose 1.) as we also use third-party products for SMS (SMSWakeUp) and a few modified settings and I found out this to be the easier way for me ;)

Hope this helps you,

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you Chris. Your steps were very helpfull.

Cheers
Yannis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back