Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I discover a computer name with the ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraghtyr

MIS
Mar 25, 2002
US
How can I discover a computer name with the ip address in a lan/domain?

I know how to do it on the internet but not on a lan. I know how to get ip from a name but not name from an ip. Any suggestions?

Well if you're in a TCP/IP network under Windows 2000 (under NT4 as well in most cases) a simple nslookup will probably give you the correct information (you'll get back <machine name>.<domain>) provided that the DNS is setup in the normal way (auto registering hosts in DNS). Past that if you are using DHCP you can look at the client leases, ditto for wins. There's probably a few other ways to do it as well, but I'd have to do a little research, but the above would be the quick way providing all the above stuff is true.

Andrew

It is a hybrid network windows 2000, nt and 98.
Could you give me exact commands i need to type from the command prompt?

I tried nslookup 192.168.1.1 and it just gives the name of our ISP.

Thanks!

Do you run a Win2k or NT4 domain with DNS setup for your internal lan (can you do a &quot;ping <computer name>&quot;)? And are your workstations setup to use the DNS from the domain controller? If not, then an nslookup wouldn't work (considering the result you saw it sounds like that's the case).

Past that you could try the DHCP manager and look at the leases if you have it setup. A regular ping won't work because if you give it the IP address it doesn't bother with any kind of host name lookup.

Lastly, if none of the above work, there are a number of packages out there that will do IP discovery, which will typically show the computer name as well. I've used tools before, they offer free demos to try it out, it's IP management/discovery isn't the greatest in terms of information gathered, but I'm sure there are tools around that do better.

Andrew

try NBTSTAT -A ipaddress A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back