Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I determine if Office is Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelbr55

Programmer
Oct 8, 2002
I have added the command bars collection to a project, but this is only available if office is installed. How can I determine if a user of the project has office of not, so I can let then know it's not available to non-office users, without crashing the application.

Mike [pipe]

Hi Mike,

Am I missing something here? Surely if your application uses VBA it follows that it's an Office application, from which it also follows that the User has Office installed?

[ponder]

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Yes! you are missing something, It is possible to install office applications without Office, ie you can install MS Word or Excel or Access all by themselves, and not have Office installed.

Mike [pipe]

So Mike,

I guess what you are REALLY asking is . . .

Is there any way of determining if a user has Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint OR FrontPage installed?

or are you asking . . .

Is there any way of determining if a user has Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint AND FrontPage installed?

I guess, the easy answer is YES either way, since VBA macros are application specific and it wouldn't matter if the user has Access installed and not Excel, but were trying to open an Excel file. Or would it?

Please clarify . . .

What application is necessary for your program/macro to run?

Peace! [peace]

Mike

Never say Never!!!
Nothing is impossible!!!

Jeepers, I never knew that!!

Thanks Mike; once again I've spent a day staring at T-T and come away a better educated person. [peace]

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Hi Mike,
My application is a MS Word macro, it only requires Word to run, but to add the commandbars collection it requires the MS Office 9.0 Object Library which is located on my machine in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSO9.dll"

If a user only has MS Word installed, I imagine that this file wouldn't exist? Right or Wrong?

So if I add command bars and this doesn't exist, my application will crash when I call these objects!

Mike [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back