Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I destroy an active directory but preserve server settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parani

Programmer
Nov 2, 2006
IN
hi,

I have a small windows 2000 advanced authentication server supporting 20 clients..... at a remote small network. Anyway I want to replace the server with a new one.... same software, but more memory and speed..... also by replacing the old server I want to bring the small network that is running at that site into the greater domain of a company that we just merged with.

The problem/question comes in right here..... By bringing the server and all clients to a new domain I am ultimately erasing the old domain..... what effect will that have on my clients as far as, printing accessing files ect? what information are saved on the domain, how can I preserve them and port them to the new server?

What is the best way to take all users accounts, printer settings that exist in the old server, and transfer them to the new one? Do I have to do it from the beginning?

I know it alot to be asking but I really need some pointer
Thanks alot for you help

Don't know the awnser, but I'd do a really good backup first. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Knowledge increases in proportion to its use, that is,
the more we teach the more we learn."
Helena Petrova Blavatsky (1831 - 1891), Russian author and translator.

Try using LDIFDE. It is a command line utility for importing and exporting objects in Active Directory. you can find info on it in Microsoft KB article Q237677.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back