Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I delete a file ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colosoderada

Programmer
Sep 14, 2000
ES
I have a file in a Server that is impossible to delete for
the Administrator and for the owner of this file. The file´s
owner want to delete this file but he can´t and the administrator either. How can I delete this file ????
It is impossible open, rename and delete the file.
What can I do ????

Thank you very much.

check whether the file is in use. if it is, go to task manager, select that file and click end task. then delete the file.

Just curious... are you receiving this error message?

"Cannot delete file: File system error (1026)"

This occurs when a file name contains "illegal" characters, such as the ASCII 229 or 255. NT Server doesn't have a problem with them locally but it has a hard time accessing them over a network and Win9x won't be bothered with them on the desktop.

Shell to the command prompt (command.com or cmd.exe), do a DIR in the folder holding the file (this will show you the illegal characters in the file name instead of underscores). Then DEL the file using wildcards to replace the bad characters.

Works every time.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Sometimes a file bearing a name that makes it difficult to delete shows up on a disk. The problem could be an illegal character or an invalid filename, such as LPT0, NUL, or CON. When you try to delete such a file an error message tells you that the filename is illegal or the system cannot find the file.

When this happens, try using a Fully Qualified Universal Naming Convention filename at a command prompt. Here's the syntax:

del \\.\drive:\path\filename

For example, if the file LPT0 were on drive C in the Windows\System32 directory, you'd enter the command as follows:

del \\.\C:\Windows\System32\LPT0

There—now your problem file is gone for good!

I have the same problem that you, but not in just one file, it happens in hundred of them!!! because the file names are in spanish, characters in conflict are "áéíóú" specially. It was working since the instalation of the NT 6 month ago, but one day all the files with that characters in its names were replaced with strange characters, and I can't read, delete, move, etc from the w9x terminals.
Do you think there is a faster solution that use the ren command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back