Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I create Reports dynamically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I want to be able to create a series of in which I have to ability to change their format and included fields dynamically. Is this possible to do using VB 6's data report?

Logo,

Are you looking to dynamically create controls for information on the screen? I'm not sure what you mean by "change their format and included fields dynamically". Is there an example you could give?

-crater

Sure!

I have an app. which tracks all company correspondance with our clients. I would like for each user to be able to generate a custom report for containing whatever data they choose. For example, they may want to create a report listing all correspondance that Bill Smith has had with Company A in the last three months. Or they may want to generate a report of all outgoing calls that have been placed in the last 3 hours.

At the moment, I can only create my reports at Design Time...Rather than have develop 30 different report layouts, I would like to be able to do this at run time...giving each user the ability to custom-make their own report.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks

Logo,

I'm sorry but something has come up. I won't be able to answer you today. Hope this doesn't cause too much trouble.

Anyone else care to attack?

-crater

I don't think that's a good idea. To create a report, you need to first create a query to report on. Do you really want user's poking around in your database? What DBMS are you using to hold the tables? If you have an Access backend, I would just let the users create the reports in Access -- i.e. create a blank database with read-only permissions, and link the tables from the master database. Access has about the easiest report tool that I have worked with. You can't expect non-technical staff to do much themselves. I would draw the line beyond allowing them to use the Access query and report Wizards. Just some things to think about.

I've actually already built a dialog with allows my users to select a type of report and any additional fields that they would like to have included. It then generates a SQL statement and dumps the data into a datagrid and other controls. It works well to view an play around with on the screen...but would make for a pretty sketchy printing.

I just want kick it up a notch and produce and give them the ability to print a nice-looking (custom) report.

I would follow CCTC1's lead/advice. As you note, getting 'something" to play with is generally doable. On the otherhand, getting ad-hoc reports to look polished is somewhat of an oxymoron. The middle ground would be (perhaps) Ms. Access with Read Only linked tabels. Even a few minutes of 'instruction' with this tool and many users will be happily using the repoting tool for a long time.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back