Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I create interior glow / fade in irregular objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptolami

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
GB
The effect I want is for objects to be light blue a their centres and dark blue at their outer edges.

With regular objects a simple action to copy, shrink and re-color works fine...but irregular objects with concave and convex elements do not scale correctly (for my purposes) around their centres.

Ideally, I would like to be able to create a line style that has light blue on its inner side, fading across its length to dark blue on its outer side.

Possible ?

Use the appearance pallete to add additional strokes of varying weight, color and transparancy.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Not really sure what your question is... but I think all you need is the [object > path > offset path] command. Please reply if that's the case...or if you can reword your question a little clearer for the forum.

All the Best.

[j]

I assume that what you want is an object light blue toward the center, dark blue toward the edges, and a feathered edge between the two. Here's what you do (assuming you have Illustrator 9 or 10):

1. Color the object the dark blue.
2. With the object still selected, go to your menu: Effect -> Stylize -> Inner Glow.
3. The default blend mode is Screen. Change it to Normal. (Otherwise the inside color reacts to the outer color in a way you can't control.)
4. The default percent is 75%. Change it to 100%. (Otherwise you don't get your inside color full-strength.)
5. The default color is a pale yellow. Change it to your light blue.
6. The default choice on the bottom is Edge. Select Center.
7. Select the Preview check box to see if the default thickness (.07 inches) is to your liking. Raise or lower it to your tastes.
8. Hit OK.

Thanks Rick thats exactly what I'm looking for.

However...I now need to export shapes to flash with this glowing fill effect. SWF EPS AI...dont seem to retain the stylized effect. Is there any way of getting this into Flash or does flash provide a similar fill effect.

Thanks Mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back