Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I create a drop down login box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzisweet

Programmer
Aug 25, 2006
GB
Hi all...

Im wanting to create a drop down login box which appears when you rollover a button saying 'login here'

can anyone help me with the best way to do this, or can anyone show me a working example...any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

suzi

Hi

Try to reword. "drop down login box" is quite meaningless. The "drop down" is the alternative name of the select control, which usually is not used in login mechanisms.

Feherke.

The easiest way, if you want smooth animation, is probably going to be to look at a javascript library.

If you are not going to include any other 'effects' in your site then look for a very small one, like MooFX.
Otherwise you may wish to look at Scriptaculous or Prototype.

They are both rather hefty if you just want to make a box appear, but they are fairly easy to use.

If you just want the 'box' to appear suddenly then:

1. Create the 'box'
2. 'Hide' it with CSS - set it to display:none
3. Set the mouseover event for a link to change the style of the 'box' with Javascript to display:block;

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

One JavaScript library that I prefer to use is JQuery. Has all of the features of Prototype, but can be packed to be only 20K in size. Very nice.

- George

I should have mentioned JQuery since I used it in the particular application I was thinking of when I wrote my initial reply!

I second the vote.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back