Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I create a dimension using multiple dimension at same level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niraj2000

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
I have a table "Test".

In the Test table, there are different columns, "TestTypeCategory", "IndividualTest1", "IndividualTest2" and so on...

For each "TesttypeCategory" there are values for "IndividualTest1", "Test2" and so on.

I have created a dimension "TestTypeCategory".

I want to create a new dimension "AllIndividualTests" made up of "IndividualTest1" , "IndividualTest2" etc at the same level or hierarchy.

For example if i click on "TestTypeCategory" dimension, I should be able to view "AllIndividualTests" dimension having values "IndividualTest1" , "IndividualTest2" etc..

So basically I want to create a dimension having lets say 5 subdimensions at same hierarchy and each of the subdimension is a column in the Test Table.

Please help !!

Thank you,

I don't think you are talking about a dimension table rather it appears as fact table.
Best way to handle is build every thing in a single dimension and as every record is associated with a surrogate key you can get the values with group by clause.
and creating sub dimensions is allowing scope for joins and loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back