Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i copy my foxpro dos 2.5 application to new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadiikhan

Technical User
Jun 9, 2021
MD
Hi all experts...
I have own a business of medicine distribution and using foxpro dos 2.5 application for sale and purchase since 2004 but now i am facing problem..i have bought a new laptop with windows 7 32 bit and copy my application from old d: drive to new one d: drive problem is that my application starts for few seconds and disappeared With an error something like foxpro library shutdown.

I have a recorded video when my programer/developer installed that program into my laptop i will share you.

Thanks for sharing, it works to watch this recording and two things I saw:

1. The program shortcut stats d:\menu.bat, not menu.exe
2. There is a DOS subfolder somewhere in D:
3. The folder name D:\ALAM vs D:\ALAM2 is important. With the 10-20 bat files copied as one of the first steps and looking into some, the path D:\ALAM is harcodeed into them. So you canÄt change to ALAM2 without also changing a lot of things in bat files, at least. If paths are in an EXXE you even can't change that.
4. At some steps several things wheere copied to C: and also back to D:
Do all these steps litaérally as in the video and I bet you'll be fine.

Chriss

One step shows D:\alam\p\install.exe - it seems like this is an installer. At the time of the AnyDesk recording your Avir AntiVir detected a possible virus signature in this exe. That can put it in quarantaine and make this not executable.

All in all this surely isn't simply done by copying over D: to your new computer. The recording shows how many zip files are copied and unzipped. The source of them isn't seen. Some bat files are executed, a DEMO or TEST version is run probably to create some defaults, etc. So I doubt your simple idea to copy over D: works.

The recording also showed several problems fixed in the same session, but this isn't straight forward and without having or knowing the origin of the many zip files copied to d: from somewhere you may never get this working.

Chriss

how can i edit into this program or menu.exe in foxpro 2.5 if i want to change something. kindly help.

You can't edit an EXE, you need source code. If your developer kept it and never gave you the sources, that's quite the end of the story.

Foxpro code can be decompiled and in your situation, ideally, when the developer retired, died or refuses to continue to work for you, I think it would even be legal for you to do decompile it.
The major downside is, programming has a steep learning curve, you likely won't recover documentation, helper code like builders your developer used, comments and you don't know the application design. Even an experienced Foxpro developer would rather use the EXE and learn from it and you what features it has and reimplement that either in VFP9 or even another language.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back