Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i copy my foxpro dos 2.5 application to new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadiikhan

Technical User
Jun 9, 2021
MD
Hi all experts...
I have own a business of medicine distribution and using foxpro dos 2.5 application for sale and purchase since 2004 but now i am facing problem..i have bought a new laptop with windows 7 32 bit and copy my application from old d: drive to new one d: drive problem is that my application starts for few seconds and disappeared With an error something like foxpro library shutdown.

Runtime libraries are usually installed in C: for Visual FoxPro. Maybe it's also a C/C++ runtime that you need in an old version.

Chriss

Thanx chris for the response but i am using foxpro dos 2.5 application not visual foxpro or c/c++

Hi Fadiikhan,

1. Start a DOS box with CMD. Now run your program. What is the exact error message?
2. Start a DOS box with CMD “as administrator” (one of the right mousebutton options). Do the same. Any difference?

Regards, Gerrit

I am using same application on windows 7 32bit since last 5 year working perfectly without dos box now i bought new laptop installed with same windows 7 32 bit. I copied whole d drive of foxpro dos application to new one d drive but my application starts for few seconds and disappeared .

Foxpro itself (also the legacy Fox DOs version) is programmed in C, so I'm very sure old FoxPro DOS applications also need an old C/C++ runtime as basis of a Foxpro Runtime.

Chriss

Thanks chris what can i do for that runtime how can i use my application

You need to find out what you need. The error messgae should point that out. And you should find them on the old PC.

If all else fails you could turn the old PC into a virtual machine with VMWare and run that inside your new laptop.

The lesson you should take is that the one folder on drive D surely wasn't 100% of this applicatoin. It has some dependencies likely into the OS itslef or runtimes added to drive C:. Which is why obviously the whole system would continue to work.

Win7 and DOS are also a lot of versions apart and Windows was never a DOS compatible upgrade, it's a change of platforms. So you might add a DOS to the laptop.

Chriss

Please report back the exact error messages according to the question I added in my prior posting. We are not mind readers. You are trying to run a DOS program, so you will allways run this in a DOS-box, even it it’s not clearly visible.

Regards, Gerrit

c_drive_w1uzct.jpg
d_drive_where_app_is_p0lste.jpg
my_foxpro_application_c1hecl.jpg
my_foxpro_info_1_ivtwbv.jpg
my_foxpro_info_2_dbohxj.jpg
my_sysem_info_noxg2e.jpg

I HAVE ATTACHED ALL THING D DRIVE PIC WHERE APP IS INSTALLED C DRIVE PICE FOXPO INFO PIC SYSTEM PROPERTIES PIC N MY COMPLETE APPLICATION IN ZIP FILE NOW KINDLY HELP ME.

Mostly your problem will be solved if you just associate the 'fxp' extension files with foxpro for DOS, which is in your D drive. You will have to locate the 'foxpro.exe' application manually, as most probably it won't be shown in the application list.

Just double click any file with extention 'fxp' and you will be prompted with a 'Open with' window. You may see some 'Recommended Programs'. Just skip them and click on the 'Browse' button below. Then locate the 'foxpro.exe' or 'foxpro25.exe' application from D drive.

Mostly this will fix your problem.

-------------
Looking for knowledge from anyone, anywhere.

Although DOS FoxPro(X) is written in C, it doesn’t require an external C runtime library.

Associating FXP files with FoxProX.exe won’t help. Your application will be started by some batch file. That does more than just start FoxProX to execute a FXP file, even if those exist at all in your setup.

Since you don’t get a error message, FoxProX just quits, the problem will most likely relate to virtual memory addressing.
You could install the DOS emulator vDos. Your FoxProX 2.5 application should run in that.

JosSchaars, thanks for the info about C runtime.

Anyway, the screenshot shows MS-DOS version 5.00, so there either is an original MSDOS installed or a DOS emulation. Let's look at it as Sherlock: Since copying over D: doesn't work alone, there has to be something in C: you also need. If your software never had a setup, but was maintained on-site and directly by the developer, then only he'll know.

If you have a setup, then by all means, use it, don't just copy over a partition. That's also never working with any software like MS Office or such. You'll have a bunch of dependencies installed in system dirs, maybe need a foundation like a runtime or DOS and have some reg keys or config or app data. Deinstallation info and more, And this is not all in one drive, partition or folder.

Chriss

Hi Chris,

You’re right about Windows software like MS Office that need to be installed. FoxProX 2.5 is however a DOS program. Those can be ported to another system by just copying one or more directories. FoxPro has no registry or other dependencies, all is contained in one main directory, most likely D:\FOXPRO25 for Fadiikhan.

Except possibly the data files that can located elsewhere. He could have a look at the FoxPro config.fp configuration file. In that a couple of directories are defined, for instance where FoxPro expects its overlay/library file is located. Could be FoxPro once solely ran off C:, was then moved/copied to run off D:. Config.fp however wasn't updated and still contains one or more references to a directory on C:. Duplicates, since all was copied to D:, but of course not present on the new system. That C: directory then also has to be copied to the new system, or the references in config.fp updated to D:.

Jos

I was thinking about things the app itself would store somewhere. It's true that both registry and AppData are Windows features, not DOS features. Anyway, there must be something on C: and most likely though Fadiikhan rejects that possibility it's a DOS.

Chriss

I wonder: What you're starting on the old system, where the application still works? Is there a shortcu, a start menu entry, aa desktop icon?
If you right-click in on it and tell us what it really starts, that would likely be very helpful to see whather it's just the application EXE or a VM or DOS with the start of the application hooked on as a parameter.

Win7 still had the Hyper-V XP VM and that in itself might be used or a Virtualbox DOS or whatever. As these things can run fullscreen or seamlessly embedded in the host system you don't even know you run a DOS, you just start the Win7 system and have a shortcut or system menu item to start your FoxDos application, but under the hood it runs on vDOS or a VM or anything alike, not really on Win7.

IIRC an FPD application needs the 16 bit subsystem. That could be disabled.

Chriss

Yes i have a desktop icon named program and its location is d:\alam\menu.exe and its run on full screen mode by disabling the display driver.

There are usually much more properties of a shortcut and all of them are potentially interesting.
Besides a deactivate 16bit subsystem can also be the reason it doesn't work.

Chriss

FoxProX will always show MS-DOS version 5.00 if it is 5.00 or later.

Unclear what d:\alam\menu.exe would be. No such directory in your D: drive listing, it is d:alam2? Menu.exe is some frontend to select among others your program, or the (renamed) compiled FoxPro program?

Locate config.fp on D:, and check if it contains references to non-existing directories on the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back