Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I copy an "OPEN" file

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmartinsen

Technical User
Apr 6, 2001
US
I constantly forget to close QUICKEN and some other programs at night. I have a Backup program that runs at 1AM. It does not back up files that are open. Is there any program out there that will let me copy an open file to another filename? I could then add a batch job to run just prior to my backup and at least make sure I do backup open files - even if they are another filename.

Yes - another option is to close my programs but that doesn't always work. I'm getting old and forgetful. That is another reason I automate backup.

I am looking for a program like XCOPY or something that will copy OPEN files. I know XCOPY won't I just didn't know if there is another program that might be able to copy an OPEN file to another file and then backup will kick off and backup the copy.

gmartinsen,

You could set up a reminder to yourself. In Notepad enter

NET SEND <your computer's IP address or hostname> Don't forget to close Quicken!

Save it as reminder.bat and enter it in Scheduled Tasks to run 30 min before you go to bed...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back