Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I connect to another pbx in another division using a data mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylor

MIS
Aug 16, 2001
US
I currently have a data mod that I can connect to my pbx. How can I connect to another pbx in another site. Can I just type ATD followed by the netcon extension in the other systems pbx and be able to connect to it, or what do I have to do to connect to it assuming I know the netcon extension to dial to already. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.
ylor

Hi
You just need to have T1 or E1 trunk to another switch.

Can you specify more details when you say just need to have a T1 or E1 to the other switch. Right now im using the latest procomm. My question is can i use procomm to connect to the other switch from here using procomm. Or is there something more that I need to do before I can connect to it.Can you explain some more please.
Thanks

Hi,

ylor is saying that you need to have a dcs connection between the switches in order to use a data module. So the question is, really, are the two pbx's connected to each other. If not then the easiest way is to dial-in using a modem into the tracker or inads port.

Hope this helps, if you require any more info then give me a shout.

Chris

Have you a E1 or T1 trunk to the remote location? If so may be you just need to dial that number:
ATD{TAC+EXT}
TAC- trunk access code
EXT- Netcon extension of remote switch.
May be you will need to dial via AAR or UDP - it is no difference, just change the number after ATD....
I like to use alphanumeric dialing - interesting thing.
Make command in local definity change alphanumeric-dial-table and print
Alpha-name___________Mapped String
remote_______________XXX_XXXX

here is XXX_XXXX - real number to reach other switch Netcon extension.

After that - you can dial in procomm ATDremote.

I have a connection down to the remote place where the switch is located but not to the actual switch, just a data link for the servers. 256k data connection line not a T1 or E1.
I went to change alphanumeric-dial-table on my switch what do I put in for the Alpha-name cause all I see is
Alpha-Name_________ and Mapped String__________
thats what I see when I do change alphanumeric-dial-table
I dont get the remote ________ like you showed up there. Is Mapped String is where I put the phone number in. Also will it require for instance 9 to dial out example: 916018537458 that would be how I would put the phone number in correct.

You need to have tie(1544 or 2048 kbps), isdn-pri or diod trunk-group in your local Definity to go to other switch by data-module 8500.
I said "remote' only for example, sorry - it may be any word to your alphanumeric dialing- the reason of this feature is better keep in mind of the number, some secret reason and so...
For exampl you can do:
Alpha-Name___________________Map String
Def1_________________________95431313
Def2_________________________1002
Office________________________25999

In order to connect from a Digital Data Module I.E. 8400, 7400 series data mods. to a “netcon” (which is also a digital data mod) you need to be able to either place a mod 2 data call between the two endpoints (like over AVD tie trunks) directly, or you will need to convert the protocol to analog data at the originating end with a pooled modem and then go out over a voice grade circuit (like a CO trunk) into the far end PBX on another voice grade circuit (like a DID trunk) then go thru another pooled modem to change the protocol back to digital data, so that it can connect to the netcon.
Note a pooled modem is a conversion resource combining a digital data module with an analog modem. Some modem pools are a modem and a data module connected together these are referred to as combined modem pools. There is also a Circuit pack (TN 758) which has two built in modems and two built in data modules. This is referred to as a integrated modem pool. Integrated modem pools can only operate at 1200 BPS. This isn’t considered fast by today’s standards. When modem pools are assigned in a PBX they are inserted automatically by the PBX that receives the call, as needed. On an outgoing call it may be necessary to dial a data originate code before the rest of the outgoing number.
It might be easier to use the net and equip the PBX’s with a devise called WebBeetle made by a company called Protec. Or perhaps make sure you have AVD tie trunks between all your switches. (That’s easy for me to say it’s not my money).

what version of software are you using if it is 9 or above you can connect over the network after setting up the ip. José

Please let me know if this was helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back