Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I connect from my work machine to my parents desk top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2005
GB
I want to be able to connect from my machine at work to my parents computer as they are always asking for help and it would be quicker for me to go and do things directly on their desk top through remote access.

I was looking at using remote desktop connection as we both have xp machines.

Can I do this as he is in a different domain to me?

Thanks

You didn't enter the 3389 at the end of the telnet command. Try this exact command:

telnet 1.2.3.4 3389

replace 1.2.3.4 with your parents actual IP address (and don't forget the trailing 3389 at the end of the command).

I have read your guys conversation looking to see if it might help me and it has but I have a question, once I have used command prompt, I put in all the need info... telnet <IP> 3389... it says that it is connecting but then gives this message ( Connecting to <IP>... could not open conection to the host, on port 3389: connection failed) Im not that good with computers what dose this mean. I need to connect to my BF computer he asked for help and lives 120 miles away, how can I get on his connect to his computer?

I now get the following;

.Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389
: Connect failed

Thanks

Charlotte

That means one of three things:

1. Their ISP is blocking inbound port 3389

2. You aren't using the correct IP

3. Their computer is off and thus is not listening on port 3389

It must be number 3 as the computer is on and I am using the correct IP - what do I do n0w?

Thanks

I finaly got to his computer but now it gives me this (BusyBox on Dslmodem login:) what does this mean??

It sounds as if you are connecting to their router.

The router may be asking you for the login and password.

If you have the username & pass you may then be able to set up the port forwarding ( For info browse to )

I would suggest that you attempt to use the built in windows remote assistance at this stage to their IP - and you should be there at last :D

Good luck

J

I get that same error:

Could not open a connection to host on Port 3389: Connect Failed

Now neither I or my parents computer have a router in between. I have Symantec software firewall, and they have Norton Firewall. I am not sure how to allow port 3389 to be forwarded I have tried a few things and they still do not work. Any ideas.

I have even created an account on my parents machine that is identical in login and password as what i use to logon to my machine. but if i try to go from my parents machine to mine it is unsuccesful, but it is also true if i go the other way from my PC to my parents. No success.

Thanks In Advance

Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

@ Live2die

I imagine the software firewalls at either end are blocking traffic - Add an exception rule within the software settings for traffic on that port 'from the ip required' i.e. on your parents machine allow connections on the port from your IP and vice versa.

Good luck.

@ CharlotteL - How are you getting on so far?

J

Still struggling, still no further on. I've read your post and gone to control panel security centre and added my Dad's IP number to the exceptions list for remote desktop, but still no luck.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Charlotte

I have also made the changes on my dad's machine in scope for the firewall, but I do not know their subnet mask - does this matter, they have got obtain IP automatically.

Thanks

If possible check the IP that your dad's machine has currently.

Start - run - cmd - type in: ipconfig
read the line showing IP address.

Attempt connection to the ip directly - The firewall should be allowing the traffic through.

If not - Let me know - We will arrange to both get on msn or irc or similar and I will guide you through it then you can post on here as to how it was resolved.

Good luck again.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back