Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I configure one e-mail address on two separate logins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adspi81

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
MT
Hi Guys,

any idea in how to setup an e-mail account on Microsoft Outlook which is already being used by a user (with his login) on a new user with a new login. When Microsoft Outlook boots, it asks me to select server. I choose Microsoft Exchange but am asked for the e-mail. As I enter the user, a prompt tells me I do not have sufficient permissions. This because, unlike the other user, am not logged on with the same account.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks.

You could just set the account up as a Additional Mailbox - so the second user has his/her own account and access to the other account as well. In account settings for outlook under the advance tab you can set this up, just make sure the user has the appropriate permissions to view teh mailbox

Microsoft outlook doesn't let me add a second account. It detects a present account and does not let me add a second. I CAN set the required account on Microsoft Outlook but I don't knwo how to set the permissions when this e-mail addrsss shall be viewed by a user which has a different login than that associated with the e-mail login.

In active directory, for the 2nd account, give the relevant user read and full access in the Exchange Advanced Tab. Now you can add the 2nd mailbox via outlook. His/her outlook will now show their email folders as well as the 2nd account email folders.

As you probably want the user to send email as the 2nd account, you need to give the user the "send on Behalf" permission. Again open the properties for the 2nd account in Active Directory and have a look under the Exchange general tab.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks for your explanation Claudtek. Really detailed. I managed to find send on behalf from exchange general. However I cannot find the Exchange Advanced Tab to allow permissions.

I'd appreciate if someone can help me on this.

Thanks for all your support.

Would be better if you give me more information on the first step (granting permission). I can always use forwarding but this is not the ideal setup.
Therefore all I need is to allow permission to the second user to read the mail.

that is excellent. thanks a million guys especially you claudtek.

Had the advanced view turned off and couldn't find exchange advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back