Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I clear the typed-in command in "Run" ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
After I start a program using "Run" in the Start menu in WinXP , I would like to have the typed in command cleared automatically. How can I do this ? Thanks...

Sorry, but I'm so used to doing what you want to do I have forgotten that it doesn't actually say it will clear the run command line. Just go to the taskbar/startmenu in control panel, keep clicking through all options whether in classic or XP start and you will find clear options. You will not find run mentioned but it does clear the command line as well as others.
It only takes a second after you've done it once. As I stated I've been using it for years going back to 98se.

Thanks,g3guy, for your kind persistance. What you mentioned is correct after all ! But it does not do the cleaning job automatically. After typing in the "Run" window, I have to go through the procedure again. The problem is I do not always remember to do it ! It is for this reason that I am looking for an automatic procedure. Apparently from the feed-back I got sofar , there is no automatic solution! I would love to tweak WinXP so that after I type in some command in "Run" , this command will be cleared automatically after the command execution. The key issue here is the "automatic clearance" .

Again, I appreciate your kindness ,g3guy;

ylan,
I've been following this thread for a while, but I had assumed that you found your answer. From your last post, I can see this is not the case.

First of all, did you see my suggestion before about Tweak UI? This is an add-on component made by Microsoft (though not officially supported) to help you customize various aspects of Windows. I'm surprised you haven't already installed it by now.

Also, you can take the RUN menu away all together from user accounts, just keeping it on your administrator logon. That would be the best option if you're really concerned about someone seeing what commands you've used. However, Tweak UI will easily solve the automatic 'clearing' problem if you want to leave the RUN menu there...

[thumbsup2] ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks, cdogg, for your tips. I did try them when suggested the first time. I tried both TweakUI v1.33 (which has the "paranoid" tab ) and TweakUI for XP ( which has no Paranoid tab at all ) . TweakUI v1.33 clears Run history at logon only.

I have to use "Run" as dictated by the keylogger (i.e. iOPUS Starr Pro v3.2.6 ) to access its Configuration window. I used "cmd" in Run to access the command-line window in WinXP as suggested by marcs41 and so far it is working. Certainly, it will be great if I can clear the command in Run automatically after its execution by tweaking WinXP . Until now, this wish has not been fulfilled yet . I wonder if Bill Gates' input may be needed here ?

Thanks,

The reason typing "keylcmd" at a command prompt doesn't work is that keylcmd is not in the path. The "run" box is a little bit smarter than the cmd prompt. Try this at the command prompt.

C:\> start keylcmd

You can see the same thing with wordpad. It's not in the path, but run and start can find it.

Thanks everyone for his input! DanMc's suggestion prompted error message: WinXP could not find the command. But this is only a side issue. The main issuse is sill elusive !

__dcowboysr1 's info is interesting . Thanks for the URL . If I can remember to run the registry patch it would be great. I am looking the automatic deletion of Run history.
Now I type in the command in the WinXP command prompt window ( i.e. not using the Run box ) and everything is O.K).

Of course, I used the paranoid option to delete Run history at logon. It is the time I am away from the PC and inadvertantly still leaving the secret command in Run box that worries me !

ylan,
I don't get it. You have WinXP, so why not create multiple profiles and/or lock the pc while you're away? Are there other users that use this PC? XP has a quick logoff method in the case that others need to logon with their ID/PW.

What you type in the RUN box won't display in other profiles on the PC. Perhaps you could better describe to us the environment you are in (Home, Office, School, etc).

It just seems the simple answer is security which can be invoked under XP...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks, cdogg, for this lateral solution ! The approach is logical and feasible. Actually, I used the PC located right next to 2 others PCs ( no partition in between!!). Security is my big concern. Before I implement your suggested scheme, I want to make sure nothing can be done by tweaking WinXP .
Again, thank you ,cdogg.

P.S. : I like your signature's quotation. It's funny if it really came from Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back