Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I clear the typed-in command in "Run" ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
After I start a program using "Run" in the Start menu in WinXP , I would like to have the typed in command cleared automatically. How can I do this ? Thanks...

By deleting the History
Rightclick taskbar - properties - Start menu - Customize - Clear The solution is out there. [morning]

Thanks marcs41, for the tip ... But it is not what I am looking for . Your tip only clear the start menu program list. I am asking for automatic clearing the typed-in in the "Run" command .
Thanks kindly,

Dont know if you can do it automatically...if you type "regedit" and search for RunMRU in the registry you will see the last commands you typed into Run,you can delete all values except "default" and "MRUList" and you will have a clear Run command. TweakUI does this at start-up but unless you can write some VB script which will go to this location every few minutes and delete these values I think your stuck!!!
Sorry!

Yeah, you could clear everything under the RunMRU entry in the registry, then export the key to a .REG file on your desktop.

Then anytime you want to clear it, simply double-click the .REG file and say 'YES' to import it back into the registry.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

sorry ylan, but on all my XP's that clears the run history as well. ???
I just checked to make sure.
But .. I am on Classic Menu, try that and switch back after the clear. The solution is out there. [morning]

Thanks everyone for the tips ...but I just wonder why Bill Gates did not seem to care too much about security ? The issue here is I got to use "Run" command line to get access to a stealth program ( i.e. keylogger) to read the report. The problem is sometimes, I forget to delete the typed-in command. Yes, I can use marcs41 to clear it ( i.e. use classic menu in WinXP) or the creative solution as suggested by cdogg . But you can forget to clear the input command once in a while. The automatic deletion should be offered as an option in WinXP. It's a matter of security as looking at the command in "Run" , other users can easily detect the keylogger being installed.

Thanks again and I welcome other suggestions for programs that offer the tweak to do this trick automatically.

Well, if you're really concerned about automation, then install Tweak UI for XP. There will be a Paranoia tab that has "Clear run history at logon" as well as a boatload of others you probably didn't think of...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

That, or, open a cmd prompt and run it from there.
No trace ever. The solution is out there. [morning]

Thanks marcs41 and cdogg for your interesting tips. As for marcs41, I would like to know how to translate the command at "Run" to a commandline in DOS . To access the keylogger, I had to type "keylcmd" in "Run" . What should I do equivalently in DOS command line ?

__BTW, I just found a freeware that basically does what cdogg suggested : blasting away the MRUs. It's called MRU Blaster 1.4 , available at :
It works for "Run" and many other MRUs. It's great!!

But I still have to remember to run the proggy after open a program in "Run" . I still love to figure out a way to clear the typed-in command in "Run" after opening any program.

Thanks,

just Start -Run - cmd
(which is not DOS btw, it's XP command prompt, not the same!)
in there type keylcmd
no more, no less The solution is out there. [morning]

Thanks marcs41 for the solution to my problem! Finally, I can access the keylogger without leaving any MRU behind... This is what I really want to do. As for the general solution to clear "Run history" automatically after opening any program, I guess Bill Gates should do something about it...

Thanks also cdogg for his creative approach...

Best wishes to all.

I tried KEYLCMD from a Command Prompt but it came up with this:-
C:\Documents and Settings\Dirk Diggler>keylcmd
'keylcmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

keylcmd stands for the "keylogger command" which depends on the key logger program you use . For example , in iOPUS Starr Pro v3.2.6 the keylcmd is : "starrcmd" (without quote) etc...

The point here is you should use Run-->cmd to access the WinXp command line window.

Best wishes

I suppose it would help if I was using a key logger. That'll teach me not to read all the posts [smile]
Thanks for the reply.

This is probably irrelevant by now, but you can make a batch file:

@echo off
*Path\To\Command\*keylcmd
exit

Where *path\to\command\* = c:\Winnt\KeyLog\keylcmd, or whatever the path is. That's all there is to it.
James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician

Thanks for your tip. Unfortunately, most key logger programs have the "stealth" option which conceals the location of the installed directory ( i.e. the program's path is unavailable ). As a result, your suggestion can not be implemented in this circomstance.

Best regards,

Excuse me people but in my XP if you go control panel/taskbar-start menu/start menu/customize/clear all, that will do it. Do you not remember this from 98?

It's not as simple as you think! I think you missed the issue here. What you mentioned is related to the list shown in the start button . I am talking about the command-line in the "Run" . Thanks for the input ...

Excuse me again but I am answering the original question. This will clear the Run command line. At least it has in all the computers I have used. Go ahead, try it. It won't bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back