Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I change the Automatic (default) color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheshireDan

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
GB
In Word, Excel etc whenever you display the color pallette to choose a color for a font, border or shading there is a default color of Automatic (usuall Black). How can I select a different color to be my Automatic color?

Hi,

All of the defaults settings in word are stored in a template Normal.dot under the MS Office folder and templates.

If you open up a blank copy of Word and go File New and Select Blank document and also in the bottom right also select template. Then after you have resaved the template and changed you have made text, colours, fonts etc will load with Word.

If you cannot save the template (because it is already open) then save it under a different name normal1.dot close Word delete Normal.dot and then rename yours to Normal.dot

Unfortunately Excel does not get its settings though a template and I don't know how to change the default selected colour

I hope this helps

Thanks for trying but I afraid you have not understood my question. In Word, if you switch on the Formatting Toolbar one of the buttons available is Font Color. If you press the down arrow to the right of this button you see a Color Pallette with a bar at the top labelled Automatic. To the left of the word Automatic is a colored square (usually black). This is the color you get if you select Automatic to be your chosen color. How can I make the Automatic color Red instead of Black?

Auto is always black when the background shading is under 20% otherwise it is always white. You cannot change this.

Sucess!! I have managed to find the solution. I know this is not an FAQ but just on the off chance that someone is interested here is the answer.

The Automatic colour is determined by the Windows setting for the Font color for the 'Windows' Item under the Appearance settings.

Right click the Desktop, select Properties. Go to the Appearance Tab. From the Item drop down select Windows. Now set the Font color and this will be used as the Automatic color by Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back