Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I change my screensaver to activate earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgoodtobeking

Programmer
Jun 5, 2003
US
I am trying to get my screensaver to turn on after 5 minutes of inactivity with a script or maybe in VB.

Problem: Our corporate office, which is across the country from us, decided that 60 minutes of inactivity was the best amount of time, and forced all computers when authenicating to the server would go to that time, then disable the ability to change the time.

Can someone help me out? I hope I have this in the correct area also.

here's a script to print your desktop properties, including screen ScreenSaverTimeout.
you can also see if you can edit the registry using regedit from start/run box:
here's the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Deskto\ScreenSaverTimeout
the value here is in seconds.
for 10 minutes, it will show 600
for 1 hour, it will show 3600
see if you can change it. if not, then you can use a vbscript to "regwrite" to change it.
again, it's a matter of the admin having given you authority to change reg stuff.

Some of the folks who provide advice here are the Corporate Security type. One or two here might work with your Corporate Security guys.

Do you really want to post, in an open forum, that you are trying to bypass security policy?

Why not try and work with your CSO guys, not against them. Maybe there are coworkers, who will benefit from your advice.

Cheers,

Chuck
Paranoia Comes From Experience, and is Natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back