Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I change my bois without seeing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ2002

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

Ive brought a second hand motherboard which does not have on board graphics, the last owner used an agp card with it and had the bios set to initialise agp in the bios settings.

The problem is that I have built a pc but I only have a pci gfx card and I can't get it to initailise, The monitor stays in stand by when the pc is powered up.

Im thinking of getting an agp card but I dont need anything too good as the pc is only for word processing and doing research on the internet.

Ive thought about resetting the bios but Im not sure how to do it.

The motherboard is a Soltek SL75DRV5

Please help.

Thanks very much in advance.

Mike

There should be some jumpers that will short out the bios and reset it, or you can remove the battery and hold the power switch down while the mains is turned off which will drain the power in the system and reset the bios.

thanks very much, Im going to give that a try in a minute..

The only thing I can see on the jumper diagram is JBAT and thet will rest the cmos is that correct?

That should be it, it will just short the battery connection.

that looks like the one..

was just about to do it and the pc wouldnt start properly, kept stariong then stopping, after taking everything out and putting it in 1 by 1 Ive decided that my cpu is screwed, only did the stop start thing when I put that in.

Nevermind I'll get it sorted eventually.

Thanks for your help mate..

Regards

Mike

Make sure the BIOS has the right setting for the CPU. Sometimes an older motherboard supports the CPU you want to use, but you have to flash the BIOS to get it to work right. Sometimes you just have to change the Bus Speed. When Athlons first come out they made them in 200 and 266 Mhz. At times the BIOS may not recognize the CPU correctly and will have to be set manually.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

the last person who had the board had a xp 2100+ in it, all Ive done is changed the dip switched to 133.3 mhz clock speed and set the multiplyer to auto.

Ive noticed a slight scratch going across one of the rails of the motherboard right next to the cpu socket, Im guessing that could be the fault..

Im sending it to a shop to complete the rest for me though.

Ive just been told that I need a fresh install of windows on my hard drive aswell, if I was to connect the hdd to my pc and format the drive in the new pc, could I put my old windows 98 se on that hard disk.. the hard drive that I put in the new machine is the old hard drive from this pc which has windows xp on it also, I was going to put 98 on it but was using my old disk to test it first..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back