Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I backup system on floppywhen I don't have tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2002
US
Tried finding a free one to download on net, but they are all ZIP's or won't work with XP. There has got to be a way besides having to backup afew files at a time on several floppies.

The last time I tried backing up a whole system to floppies was with an early vintage 386 laptop running Windows 3.1. Took all day and about 60 floppies. I never tried that again. Life is too short.

The typical 20-40 gig drive in today's XP systems will probably take a week and a 9x12 room full of floppies stacked to the ceiling. If you want to try it just to say you did it once (like building a ship in a bottle), hats off to you sir!

I recommend getting Ghost and a CD burner that Ghost will work with. 5-6 CDRs and a few hours ought to cover a full backup of an average system.

I agree, I've been backing up my systems quite regularly with ghost. I save it to a different partition than the one I'm backing up. I'm in the process of installing an iomega cdrw to get the backed up files off the hard drive, so I can clear up some space.

Ghost works pretty well.

Akloster2, I get an ghost error on one of my machines: 10098 internal error. Have you encountered that error? Any suggestions, or guidance?

Thanks,

Steve

You should by a seprate Hard drive to backup your data. Just use msbackup and backup you system to the other hard drive.

PC42e,

Does MSBackup save the whole partition or drive with data and free space, or does it only save the data? And how long does that take to back up? (I've never used it)

That's what I liked about Ghost, was the fact that it won't take up so much room when backing up a partition, because it only saves the data part of it...

ie.. if you have a 10GB partition, with only 2GB of info on it, it will make a complete image of the 10GB partition, but only take up 2GB worth of space.

Plus, it's really quick... like 6-10 minutes for 2GB of data backup.

I was just curious about that...

Thanks,

Steve

bellins1 - no, I have never encountered that error. Have you checked the Symantec site?

I did have trouble with some Win2k Pro NTFS images, but the Symantec site had some suggestions, and one of them worked (had something to do with forcing a disk initialization).

I agree with a separate hard drive as a minimal precaution. That way if the drive dies, you aren't dead in the water. If the computer is stolen, then you're still SOL. Ghost to either a second hard drive or CDs and take them off site (to the office, in the trunk, etc.).

I don't think MSBackup can do a full image that is bootable. Besides, I know you will need to build a new system from scratch to get MSBackup to restore the data. The format that MSBackup uses is not a bootable format, and requires MSBackup to restore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back