Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i back up updates? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopydawg

Technical User
May 9, 2005
US
I am on dial-up still and i want to do a clean install but i dread all the Windows Updates and Antivirus updates plus all the other stuff. Is there a way around it?

Is it possible to backup the whole drive and then just copy the stuff i need to the freshly installed OS or can i just backup the updates only?

Thanks,

KMart-

snoopydawg,

Sorry that you are on a dial up.

My method, since way back, has been to "ALWAYS" download the update rather than letting it install over the Inet. Then I always backup tese files to other media (CD) and then I have them for xactly the situations that you are in. Do this religously from now on.

As to what you propose to do; this will not be successful as there are too many particulars that are accomplished on certian updates, i.e. some can be removed others cannot, registry entries etc.

BTW: I assume that you are not backing up in any manner and have to re-install. I have not had to do this for so long I have to really dig to assist others that have to. The point; backup to a selected media so that you always have a working copy(clone) of your system & data. I use HD's to accomplish this as it is just easier for me, but a clso approximations can be done by other means.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

rvnguy, how do i backup updates for windows and antiviruses? Do i go to the website and look for links or what? i never did it that way before. Also, i have backups on my files and folders of mainly the important stuff such as music, photos and school work but no apps or settings.

My problem is that my system is starting to bog down because i have so many apps installed and it's just not acting the way it once did. I have 2 80gig HD's in my case. One that runs 2000pro and the other runs XPpro. I never use 2000pro, so i feel its a waste. I have and external 250gig that i backup my files and folders like i mentioned earlier. I just want to do a clean install to start fresh and untilize the space availible. I was just hoping i could beat the whole dial-up & update issue, which for me could take days.

What do you think about this? Another issue is that i have online school daily and i can't afford to go without my pc for more than a day or two.

Thanks,

KMart-

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partition

2 copies of windows XP installed on my system
thread779-846333

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Every Service Pack is cumulative, meaning that it contains all earlier updates. So if SP2 is not embedded into your XP CD (as in all recent versions of XP) you will need a copy of the SP2 CD. It is freely available from Computer Stores or your friends might have a copy.

This will still leave you some 50 or so updates to be re-installed. Not much you can do about them but download them again.

For future reference you can manually download updates from the Windows Update site and save them to disk. Maybe you know of such a person who has and would then let you copy them?

The trick with the above procedure is to let Windows manually scan your computer and tell you what updates are required. With a list of the updates in your hand, you then use the Administrators option link on the Windows Update site to access the Windows Catalog of updates, where you can then save them to disk. When you know what updates you require, go here and look for the link called "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems". This will be available after a Brief Update of the Windows Update engine.

Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.

How to download Windows updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog

Have you any friends on Cable or Satellite that could help you out and save the updates you require to CD for you? Maybe you could take your computer to a repairer and have them download everything you need, assuming they have a fast connection. Or just go to bed one night and leave the updates to trickle down at the rate of about 8 - 10 MB's per hour

As for Anti virus software, some save the updated definitions in folders and you may be able to find and save your older updates and pick up what you miss through the normal update process.

snoopydawg,

Pay attention to linney's post, as bcastner has a good link to a slipstream prog.

This takes care of the major updates. But as we all know that daily/weekly there is something new and you probably want this in addition to the previous stuff.

To answer your query about how to get this done: I wish that I had an easy way(still looking) but;

1. I let wupdate check for the items that I might need.

2. I write down each item that is referenced.

3. I search for this item by it's reference and then select to download it vs run it.

4. I then have it locally on my machine and can then install it, and save & back it up to CD for future use.

This takes only a little more time after your machine is up to date as there are usually just a couple required at any one time.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thank you all for the info you have offered me. I'm sure this will help me a great deal. I will make it a point to start saving my backups to disk.

Thanks again,

Kmart-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back