Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I attach a file & send using mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls62

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
US
Hi,

I sure it must be easy but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a file using 'mail' command in SCO UNIX 5.0.6.

I have files that I want to send using 'mail' from the command line and send to users who are using other windows email clients. These files need to show as attachments, and I can't use uuencode because they have no ability to unencode.

For example I have a .tif file that I want to email from my sco unix box to other users (who are using Win9X outlook) and they should be able to just open the attachment. I don't see anyway to do it with unix 'mail'.

Thanks for any help.

Lee

Take a look at FAQ80-1843 over in the General Unix forum.

I haven't tried this out myself yet, but its rated 10 out of 10. "Code what you mean,
and mean what you code"

Razalas

Thanks Razalas,

That looks like what I need. I should have looked around alittle more. You would think that unix or 'mail' would have some options for attachments rather than having to write some script like the 'jail' one.

Thanks for your time.[thumbsup2]

Lee

Go to the skunkware site at caldera and download either pine or mutt. Both allow attachments. Pine has a nicer user interface and mutt is easier to use as a mailer out of another program. Mark Comins
Aperion Information Technologies, Inc.

cheap way:

uuencode file file | mail -s "ododo" who

Thank to all for your suggestions. I'll check them out and see which one works best for me.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back