Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I associate an extension within a HTML-HREF with my own progra

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanB

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
CH
I want to write a software, which defines it's own fileformat, eg. *.smx-Files. I want something like < a href=&quot;somefile.smx&quot; >... < / a > in my html-code, or an embed or object-tag - i don't care. When a click occurs, my application (an ordinary exe) should start (and possibly get 'somefile.smx' as parameter). Does anyone know how to solve this in a as portable as possible way?

I believe that is against Browser standards. For security reasons, you can only run a limited number of programming languages: Java, JavaScript, VBS...

==================
learning &amp; sharing

you can set these in your web server tho
- can you access your web server ? can you add some mime types ?

You can also write a .dll file and then you can basically do whatever you what since both IE and NN can run them as if they were .HTM pages ...

TIP: If your using Delphi 5 Professional or Enterprise for your progamming you can use the TWebbrowser object ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back