Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I assign PRINTERS to Users? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpoandl

MIS
Jun 23, 2000
US
Is it possible to assign network printers to users using AD GPO's?

Or can I assign printers to users through logon scripts? (Kixtart)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Hey Joseph, you can script it using the CON2PRT.EXE from the NT resource kit (works in 2k as well). Here's the syntax from the help file::
CON2PRT: Lets the user disconnect all existing connections to Windows NT printers and connect to newly specified Windows NT printers.

Usage: CON2PRT [ /? | /h | /f | [/c \\printserver\share | /cd \\printserver\share]+] where:

/? - displays usage. /h - displays usage. /f - deletes all existing printer connections. /c - connects to \\printserver\share printer. /cd - connects to \\printserver\share printer and sets it as the default printer.

I'm not great at scripting, but I got it to work after a few tests. I use kixtart scripts...

Hey, great. Thank you for the quick response.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I have the other question, how do I assign printers to computers using AD's GPO? Since I am remote installing the OS and assigning the permitted software to each workstation (and some software to specific users) I want to allow workstations to only connect and print to the printer pool physically closest to them.

Alex

Alex, that's a darn good question. I don't think you can do it via GPO, but I'll check it out and would sure like to hear anyone's opinions...

We'll...If the CON2PRT utility works. You can create a batch file that uses CON2PRT to map the proper printers. Then you use the GPO to run a logon script. Point the logon script for the GPO to the batch file.

The only issue here is that you will have to make sure the con2prt utility is available on all the workstations. (You can roll this out through GPO's too.)

I've never done it myself (yet) but I think the theory is here. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Good one. I think that's about the closest you're going to get. So far, I can't find a thing about assigning them directly out of group policy...

Try this vbs snippet

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'- Set up the LaserJet 2100 and make it the default printer
'
PrinterPath = "\\dcs-hermes\hq-ds-laserjet-2100"
PrinterDriver = "HP LaserJet 2000" ' look in ntprint.inf in winnt
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\dcs-hermes\hq-ds-laserjet-2100" 'used to make it the default printer
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back